Gibson Brands Forums

open back vs closed back for home use?

Which is better for home use? Im looking at buying a closed back 2x12 to go with my tiny terror but not sure what benifits each have.

If you have open back and put it against a wall does it pretty much change ino a closed back? Always wondered that?

Which is better for home use?

Which ever one gets your cookies off...no one is better than the other Imo. Closed back more bottom end.

If you have open back and put it against a wall does it pretty much change ino a closed back? Always wondered that?

Moving your amp around allows you to hear different things, like raising it from the ground. But putting an open back against the wall is still an open back.

You know I know some folks that get closed back cabs and then get a piece of board from home depot type places. They cut them in half and replace the existing one for an open back thing...kind of a two in one choice type thing. As a matter of fact some sell their cabs as such. Egnater is the first that comes to mind. They offer a 2x2 cab with removable halves for such a thing. Although is cheaper to DIY.

open vs closed has to do also with the speaker as well.

But if you open a cab up you will get less bottom end and the highs that come off the back of the cone will make its way around for you to hear.

my latest 1x12 has a 80/20 split so I can remove 80% of the back if I want to...

Best of both worlds, has nothing to do with being at home or anywere else.

Ok cool i was told the difference is like listening to tv from outside a closed door to opening the door. The guy said that a open back gives sound all around making better for home use. He said closed gave a direct sound which wont seem as loud at home and is better for projecting to the audience.

He said the open back is like the door open and the closed back is like the door closed.

Hope that makes sense. By the way he worked in guitar shop. I'll be going for Vintage 30 speaker by the way, i have a G12T-75 at the mo in my openback 1x12 combo

have the cloned WGS version of the V30's, I believe they work best in close back cab's..

but take the back off and listen.. your ears will tell you what you like best.

BTW if you have brand new speakers.. they'll sound like crap for a while... Don't believe Celestion in their recommendations about break in...

I put the amp on in the garage with pillows around the cab and run the amp over the weekend non-stop, or over the course of several days starting and stopping, trying to get around 50 to 100hrs on it before I plug a guitar into it.

but you can listen to it new.. then run it for a few days then listen again and you'll hear a difference.

BTW Celestion has a section called "Ask Dr. Decible" Check it out

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/features/drdecibel/index.asp

How do I break in my speakers?

Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.

Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time.

What they say about:

What is the difference between open and closed-back cabinets?

The closed-back type of cabinet has much more bass presence and a tighter feel. The sound is more directional, however, and can feel slower or less free and open. For this reason I would usually choose a large magnet speaker (eg Vintage 30) in a closed back cabinet as it is less bass-heavy. The effect of the large magnet outweighs the effect of the cabinet.

I have heard people say that the Vintage 30 ONLY works in open cabs, and others say it ONLY works in closed so ultimately it's all down to personal taste, your tone and style, and how you set your amp controls.

Closing the back of a tube amp is a little more detailed than SS. You have to leave the amp part of the combo open to let heat escape. I've used both open and closed back combos and generally there's not that much difference if the EQ is set up to provide for tight bass response. Standing behind the amp will give you a more mid-range sound. Standing in front provides a more balanced, normal sound.

I didn't like the Line 6 Spider III 75 open back model. I love the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 open back. My Roland Cube 60 is a closed back design that sounds great as is my Vox Valvetronix AD50VT 2x12. It's all in personal preference.

At home, it really doesn't matter. It's in a live setting at high volumes that you;d begin to get phase cancellations from an open cabinet that would allow you to truly hear the difference, if you were able to A/B closed and open. These cancellations can cause an open back cabinet to disperse sound across a mix out front, rather than allow the guitar to penetrate the mix.

Archived