Gibson Brands Forums

How much would you pay for a 2nd?

lpfan

I found an Epi LP Jr at a local shop and its stamped "2nd" on the back of the headstock. The finish on the back and the sides of the guitar are really wavy. The finish looks great directly from the front but the sides and back are terrible. I think these are selling new for $129 at Musicians Friend. How much would you pay for a "2nd" The shop is going to look up their cost in it and then give me a price but I don't know what I should expect. So whats a good price for this?

This guitar has a humbucker and I thought that I might put a p-rail in it after seeing one in a previous thread. I thought it was really cool.

That's part of the toss up, if you have a good rapore with your shop they might give you a good deal, if you look on the bay there are dealers that are selling used and 2nd stamped guitars almost the same price as new which IMHO is BS, it's not a new guitar and you have no recourse to go through if something goes wrong. I would say if you really like the guitar dont go more than75 percent of the original value depending on the blem or repair. my local has a nice little honeyburst Lp and it's marked 2nd and they are trying to sell it for 50-75 less than new standard top, and it's used on top of it.

Epiphone 2nds if you are buying new should have all the cards and the full warranty. Make sure you get all the correct info.

I would pay 75% of the best price not the list price but what the sites sell them for.

I own 2 MIK 2nds and I do not know to this day what the flaws are. The 2nds are supposed to be cosmetic flaws only.

Back in the day when it was MIK production only I was told so many were pulled out of the containers and marked as 2nds to keep the manufactures in line and Epiphone could take a markdown on those guitars.

Now that it is their own factory I have a feeling most of the 2nds now are legit and have some obvious flaws in them.

I have seen though since the move to China many factory 1st guitars with the set up in the USA inspection stickers that were not even good enough to be 2nds.

You have the advantage of seeing it first so decide what you want to pay and can you live with the flaws.

I was going to pay $75 bucks for it but they said they had to have $100. I told them thanks but I'll pass. They were $100 last month at Musicians Friend and Guitar Center. I said I'd wait til they went on sale again and if they would match their price on a new one I would buy it. I like to deal locally. They said they would match it. I did find a used Epi LP Jr. w/ an upgraded SD humbucker but they won't answer any e-mails. Oh well. Guess I will have to wait.

2 things would dictate whether or not I'd buy a second...#1, cash at hand, #2, how bad I wanted it, blems or not. I was looking at 2nds at a local (not Guitar Center) guitar shop, and couldn't find a damn thing wrong with them outwardly, I'd've bought any of the three he had hanging.

Guest icantbuyafender

80% of original vendor price (or less :-] )

I got my Korean factory 2nd G400 in 2003 for 300 even at a local shop

I love my two LP Jr's

-Humbucker version that i revamped and rewired as my own custom signature model Nice heavy and solid body

-The jr90 with the p90 pup. Best 100 bucks Ive EVER spent!!!

what color/year/pickup version is it, Lpfan?

Archived