Gibson Brands Forums

Need opinions about modding my new epi

vipe155

I just bought an Epi Wilshire (regular one, not overpriced 1962 one) and I'm trying to figure out what should be changed in it. I knew off the bat for $250 I would want to upgrade the "average" overseas electronics, etc.

I just finished upgrading a Fender Mexi Strat with american Strat pots, 5 way switch, noiseless pickups and new bridge saddles. Is this basically what the Wilshire should have done as well? New switch, better pots/wiring and maybe some better pickups? I was looking at this:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/colespaupelc.html

Would those pots/switch fit the Wilshire?

Also, regarding pickups, I've heard that original Wilshire's had mini humbuckers, but would those even fit in the arrangement they put on these guitars? Should I just get regular sized p90s or something instead?

I appreciate any opinions you all may have.

They look like nice guitars. Assuming you bought the standard model with humbucker pickups, neither P90s nor mini-hums will fit in those cavities. They both need a longer, thinner hole.

The wiring kit you posted the link to looks like a good spec for upgrading your Wilshire if you want to stick with humbuckers, but I'd recommend deciding what pickups you want first....which comes down to what sound you want.

If you want a P90 sound, you can get various aftermarket humbucker-shaped P90 copies, which would drop straight in without any carpentry. With those, you might want different pot and cap values.....such as 300k pots, 0.47 cap

I appreciate any opinions you all may have.

My personal opinion is (since you welcome all ops) is just keep it stock for several months before upgrading stuff all willy-nilly. OEM Epi parts are really not that bad, depending what you expect/what tone you're after. Also, I dunno what amp you have, but ..... a quality amp will go way further towards making your guitar sound way better than guitar upgrades played through a crappy amp. Just some food for thought. I've had my LP for about 17 months, still basically stock (other than cosmetic) Am not fond of the bridge humbucker (usually play with switch in middle or neck position) but it can be worked around with an equalizer pedal and the stock parts work for my current purposes (classic rock, blues, hippie-dippy shtuff at church,l etc...) I'd save for a good ampbefore investing in upgrading parts that may be unnecessary, in the scheme of things....am sureothers will readily disagree with me, though8-[

I would first have a luthier install a bone nut as it improves both tone and tuning stability. If you're going to go through the hassle of upgrading pots and such, spend a bit more money for CTS or Alpha pots (500K), Switchcraft pickup selector and Orange Drop capacitors. The GF components may not be much better than what's in it now. Then, play it awhile and decide whether you feel the pickups need replacement.

I would first have a luthier install a bone nut as it improves both tone and tuning stability. If you're going to go through the hassle of upgrading pots and such' date=' spend a bit more money for CTS or Alpha pots (500K), Switchcraft pickup selector and Orange Drop capacitors. The GF components may not be much better than what's in it now. Then, play it awhile and decide whether you feel the pickups need replacement. [/quote']

bingo, and to rsdx's point, don't do anything till you get a feel of what you want sound-wise for this guitar.

Also, all epi's that i own with the expection of the 98 coronet had/has alpha pots. i have used cts in the coronet when i modded her and i liked the alpha in the newer epi's. leave the pots alone imo. i would agree on a nut change and tuners chg if they are not grovers. the mods i have done that increase tonality on my guitars have been a nut and tuner upgrade. staying in tune is most important!!!!!!!! i have used grahite nut on my lp junior upgrade and it totally enhanced the sound quality of my guitar not to mention increase sustain.

Nut upgrade and tuners first. then break her in some more. once you know what sound you want out of her, then mod the pickpups and pot/cap( if necessary to match pups selectiions). have fun!!!!!

Thanks for the replies. I looked at it this way, this a $250 dollar guitar, and they had to skimp somewhere. The neck and the body look pretty good, so it seems the electronics is where they cut costs. My Mex. Strat has a very nice neck and a great heavy body (+ great finish) but the electronics were pretty poor. I suspect the Wilshire is no different.

As far as tuners go, I haven't used this much, but it seems to stay in tune pretty well. I don't really know if replacing them will be necessary. The nut though looks pretty cheap. The reason I would like to replace the switch and jack is that they also seem cheap... they both are pretty flimsy. So far I like the pickups, and I would probably just put a p90 copy that would drop in if I ever changed them. I think better pots would be worth doing.

If any of you are interested in the Wilshire but haven't gotten near one, it is a nice guitar. It sounds good, and by my standard it plays different but in some ways *surprisingly* better than my Strat. The neck is also very nice. Even so, besides the parts I've talked about the guitar has serious rattle problems in a couple of strings and I found a couple of small, less than good quality finish areas.

By the way, I primarily will be playing 60's and 70's rock and pysch. rock with this guitar, and I use a Crate V5212 tube.

Archived