Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Pickup Replacement

mbrooks0711

Hey guys, its a sad day to see all of that information gone. I thought I would get some conversation started back up with asking a really open-ended question here. I was thinking about replacing the pickups in my Epi LP and have decided (can be persuaded still) to go with GFS pickups. As many good reviews as they get around here for less than $100 I don't think I could do better bang for my buck. My real question is has anybody ever put GFS pickups in a LP? My playing ranges a lot, from pretty soft to pretty heavy and would like to have a guitar that could be good at both. I found a clip on youtube of a guy who loaded a Mean 90 in the neck and a Vintage '59 in the bridge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2yWbwiGFpM. I like the sound of it, but never really get a taste of what it can do with other styles. Then I found a video of a guy with a couple of FAT PATS in an LP and I like the distorted sound. I don't know what to do, are there any suggestions? People who have put in GFS pickups recently?

I put gfs pickups in my LP and i made a video about it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LdUs_cFrAUjudge for yourself

As expected, the truly noticeable difference is in the bridge pickup - the HOTCH is a real POS, unless mud is to your liking. The neck pickup sounded the same. The HOTCH in my Dot Studio was horrid - Mean 90s did the trick. The old stock pickups were donated to a fellow modder (why he wanted them is anybody's guess).

As expected' date=' the truly noticeable difference is in the bridge pickup - the HOTCH is a real POS, unless mud is to your liking. The neck pickup sounded the same. The HOTCH in my Dot Studio was horrid - Mean 90s did the trick. The old stock pickups were donated to a fellow modder (why he wanted them is anybody's guess).[/quote']

I do like mud when im in my truck, not in my tone.

Archived