Gibson Brands Forums

E string fretting out

ken361

Sounds like it could be a couple of high frets. You could try to raise the action a little to see if that helps. I had an E string fretting out on the 14th fret only. I raised the action a 1/4 turn and that was a good enough fix for me. No more fretting out. Sometimes it isn't that easy. If you have a high fret or two, take it to a luthier. There are some really competent luthiers on the east side.

Good luck

Raising the action slightly is a good solution.

You may want to also consider that some guitars come from the factory with some of the frets not seated fully..........

If the guitar is relatively new,lay a straightedge along the length of the neck, if it wobbles showing a high fret at the area in which it's "fretting out", you can take a piece of soft (pine or oak)dowel rod, place it on the area of the fret(s) in question, and tap it LIGHTLY with a tack hammer.

I've had to "set" an errant fret or 2 on quite a few guitars, and it's allowed me to keep a low action, without buzz or dead spots.

Guest icantbuyafender

I have the same problem, but with my GoldTop's A string at the 12th (Thoroughly ANNOYING)

Im trying a heavier guage string first.

This is the only fret or string doing this , so maybe itll work.

Cmon people, more suggestions!!

Guest icantbuyafender

well I put on a heavier set 11-52 and well, it only got worse. hmm....

oh, and I wasn't sure if one of the strings was an acoustic string... the 52 low E... to be more specific.

are they made differently? there wasn't anything on the paper envelope designating it as acoustic. hmm... help?

It's common to have a high fret on a new Epi. The action will set up fine to factory specs, but when you lower the bridge and adjust the truss rod the high fret comes into play. Finding it is a matter of locating the "rocker" as someone said earlier. Start off using a 6" metal ruler or known good straight edge and check the frets until you find a spot where it rocks. Change to a business card and narrow it down to the offending fret. Usually, tapping it down will get you in line, but occasionally you will have to sand it to get it where it needs to be.

I'd try the business card trick first. If you can't find it that way, you will need to take the strings off and use a long straight edge. This really needs to be done with the fingerboard flattened. Any relief will make it hard to find the problem since there's a negative curvature once the truss rod is adjusted for proper relief. Take the strings off and use a known good long straightedge such as a 24" metal ruler or carpenter's square to adjust the truss rod for a flat fingerboard. Fix the fret and re-adjust the truss rod after re-stringing.

Archived