Gibson Brands Forums

Pick up upgrade

rollingstone963

Good morning to all!I'm a new member and I'm from Rome,Italy:I beg your pardon for my very,very bad english...I'm sorry! I hope that I reach to understand you wich is my problem.....

I have a beautiful Emperor II Joe Pass, and I have changed the two original pick up (57CH G) with two Seymour Duncan SH1 '59 with nickel cover (I didn't find the gold cover...). But the dealer of the music shop instead to give me the neck pu and the bridge ones,he has sold me two bridge pu.He told me that it's the same,so now I have two pu SH1-B on the neck and the bridge.

I'm not sure that it's the right thing:The sound on the bridge position is very clear,brilliant while on the neck position is dark,closed...ok,it must be right,but I answer to you why the dealer hasn't sold me a SH1-B and a SH1-N?

Are the Seymour Duncan SH1 '59 a good choice for my guitar?

Are there better pu than SH1 for Joe Pass?Wich are for you?

I play blues but rock '70 too,as Led Zeppelin,Emerson Lake & Palmer,Yes,Santana etc...I have also a Fender Stratocaster Classic Vintage '50 Mexico (3 single coil Fender Custom Shop '69 equipped) for this music,but I know that I'm speaking about two very different guitars.I'm very glad to have an Epiphone,but I'm not sure to have made the right choice for pu...When I have bought the Epiphone I bought also the Seymour Duncan's and I have changed the pu without hear the original sound of the Epiphone connected to my amplifier (Fender Princeton 65 DSP)....I make a mistake...?Tell me,please!

Thank you or all!

My best regards!

Giampaolo

Ciao, Giampaolo

Welcome to the forum!

But the dealer of the music shop instead to give me the neck pu and the bridge ones' date='he has sold me two bridge pu.He told me that it's the same,so now I have two pu SH1-B on the neck and the bridge.[/quote']

This information isn't accurate. You should not use the same pickup in both positions.

Here is a link to the Duncan site:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/vintage/59_model_sh1_an/

There are some tips and recommendations there, but if you write them a mail, I'm sure they'll be happy to answer your questions.

Do you think that the SH4 JB is a good solution for bridge position?

Now I'm confused.

In your first post you said you bought two SH-1 bridge pickups. That means you need a pickup for the neck position.

Since the SH-4 is only available as a bridge pickup, you would still need to buy an SH-1 for the neck.

As for what would sound good, only you can decide that. This combination (SH-1 neck & SH-4 bridge) is recommended on the Duncan website, so I'm sure it's going to sound fine, but that doesn't mean it's exactly what you're looking for.

Check out the sound files on the Duncan site, and good luck!

In your first post you said you bought two SH-1 bridge pickups. That means you need a pickup for the neck position.

Since the SH-4 is only available as a bridge pickup' date=' you would still need to buy an SH-1 for the neck.

[/quote']

He could use a 59B in the neck position no problem. There's just 0.5K between the N and B model. I'd be very surprised if it would make any discernable difference with a SH-4 in the bridge position.

Archived