Gibson Brands Forums

Adjusting the poles height on Epi Dot pickups

tt

Howdy,

I would like to make a fine adjustment opn my 2008 Epi Dot´s original neck pickup. But I have read ghost stories that the pole screws on these pickups are just punched into plastic/wax, and not giving the adjustment opportunity...

Anybody done the poles adjustment on his(her Epi Dot original pickups ?

Thanks,

Telbert

I would like to make a fine adjustment opn my 2008 Epi Dot´s original neck pickup. But I have read ghost stories that the pole screws on these pickups are just punched into plastic/wax' date=' and not giving the adjustment opportunity...

[/quote']

Nonsense. Just try it.

First. Keep the polepieces of the high and low E flat with the PU. (Theory has it a PU with polepieces protruding too much above the flatwork of the coil, will loose efficiency)

Adjust the middle 4 polepieces to follow your guitars neck-radius. This is the basic adjustment of the PU.

Now. Adjust the entire pickup for optimal height.

Adjust individual polepieces to correct discrepencies in volume.

Try it this way _ plug the guitar into an amp, and make adjustments to the poles individually. I have the pole pieces on my SG/Les Paul Custom bridge pup screwed up about 4 full turms to give that pup a lighter, jangley sound. Poles on the other 2 pups are no higher than the pup cover, and the neck pup is set pretty low into the body for a jazzier woody tone. I get very distinct sounds out of each pup just by changing the selector switch, and even more by using the vol and tone knobs (Tone changes when you back off on the vol knob).

I found it bewst to experiment with the guitar plugged in on low volume so you can hjear the changes you are making and get it all set up to where you are happy with it. It makes a great difference.

FWIW, I find that when Epiphone humbuckers are set up properly, they are as good as anybody elses.

mark

Ricochet: Not to step on any toes - I use this method with HB's and P90's and it works fine...IF you don't like the result, just set it back the way it was with no loss. Cheaper than new pickups.

I also prefer keeping the pickups low, and using the amp pot to increase volume - much better tone and sustain, at least IMO.

mark

Howdy' date='

But I have read ghost stories that the pole screws on these pickups are just punched into plastic/wax, and not giving the adjustment opportunity...

Anybody done the poles adjustment on his(her Epi Dot original pickups ?

Thanks,

Telbert[/quote']

This is false. The polepieces are threaded through the metal baseplate. You probably have the same set that came stock in my Lester Classic. Make a written note of how the poles are sitting right now, then turn a little and see if you like the results. And you can turn them slightly below the covers if yours have them. This could help tame a funky G string volume. Just go slow and easy and have fun.

L8R,

Matt

mr oldmark is right !

When to turn out the pole screws and to screw the pup itself down to its frame on the same time, the sound really gets more ´jangley´ (and pickup´s tone retains better highs while rolling down the volume) . But on the same time the overall sound of the pickups looses some of it´s ´body´ or ´juice´. So, there is a compromise setting to find for everyone.

Archived