Gibson Brands Forums

more info on p90 replacement needed, please!

got a epi 56 gold top, love it ,but think i'd rather have humbucer in the bridge, but dont know if i can find one to fit the p90 cutout. anyoneknow, was thinking maybe a mini humbucker but i really don't know just know i liked the humbucker better ,or am i stuck? thanx

Most pickupmanufacturers offer humbuckers in P90-sizes. Check Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio etc.

No need to fit weird pickup-rings leaving holes. The TV Jones Filtertron type PU are also a perfect fit if you're looking for something different.

ok ya so what is that' date=' and where can i get it, and is it easy to do??? also jerrymac love your site and your music.[/quote']

Thanks!!! That sorry piece of beat up maple and mahogany is Neil Young's Old Black. Mr. Young also wanted to beef up the bridge pup, hence the Firebird mini-bucker. From Wiki:

Old Black is allegedly a 1953 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop. It has been customized quite considerably: after being left at a guitar repair store, the original bridge pickup was replaced by a Gretsch Dynasonic single-coil pickup. Eventually a mini-humbucker pickup from a Gibson Firebird guitar replaced the Dynasonic. The neck pickup has always been the original P-90 pickup, but it is covered by a metal p-90 cover, most likely from a Gibson ES-330. It was roughly resprayed to jet black, and received a new Tune-o-matic bridge (not available when the guitar was produced) and a B-7 model Bigsby vibrato tailpiece. It would presumably also have had a white plastic pickguard at some point, as was standard on 1953 Goldtops. Old Black is notable for its metal hardware, including an aluminum pickguard, whose rigidity produces additional feedback—a tone characteristic of many of Neil Young's guitar sounds. The tuners have been replaced with Schaller M-6 tuning keys, and the rest of the hardware is mostly nickel.

The GFS pickups I've tried have been really good, especially considering the cost. But I never tried their minis. I played an old Epiphone Olympic that had Duncan minis, and they sounded great. I personally love the sound of minis, but they don't sound like your typical full sized humbuckers. Bright, will cut through anything, something like a Tele (but not exactly). Great bridge pickup IMO. And the good thing is that minis should fit in the P-90 rout without any modification, so you can always go back to the P-90 if you're not happy.

200px-Ny-ottawa-jul-2006.jpg

hey thanx,and ya know its funny i showed that guitar to my friend and jokinly told him that was neil youngs old guitar old black, then i read this and it really is- awsome. and yes thats what i want to do is have somthing i can easyly change back to, cause i am starting to like the p90/s but then i play my cheap silver lp and whish i had humbuccers on this nicer lp.

Archived