Gibson Brands Forums

Damaged frets on new Epi LP!

Lukesteele

Hi guys, I bought a new Epi LP 11 days ago and have been playing it and occasionally the 1st string would catch, but I presumed it was catching on the edge of the neck. Well, I had a close look at the fretboard and I see grooves cut into several frets under the 1st string alone! WTF?? Im taking the guitar back under warranty tomorrow and am wondering if anyone else here has had similar problems? Cheers :-

The fret work on MOST Epi LPs isn't first rate. A lot of them are notorious for having loose, uneven, or poorly finished frets.

When I got mine, I had to have the frets refinished, because the ends were so sharp that EVERY time I played, they would cut the insides of my fingers!

hi and thanks rockstar..sounds like a nightmare!! Did you get that refinishing done under warranty? I'm now suspecting that a packing knife used to open up the cardboard Epi boxes probably cut too deep and caused this damage. I'm seeing the dealer tomorrow will see what happens..wish me luck! Cheers.

Hi guys' date=' I bought a new Epi LP 11 days ago and have been playing it and occasionally the 1st string would catch, but I presumed it was catching on the edge of the neck. Well, I had a close look at the fretboard and I see grooves cut into several frets under the 1st string alone! WTF?? Im taking the guitar back under warranty tomorrow and am wondering if anyone else here has had similar problems? Cheers '](*,)

Lukesteele, Hi! I hear you on the problem you're having with frets on you Epi LP. My first string used to catch on the

3rd fret. What happened was the 3rd fret was lifting and the 4th fret was too high. I showed it to a guitar tech and asked him if it was covered under the warranty. He said by the time I paid for the shippng and handling back and forth, it would cost me more than just paying him to fix them. I had him do the fret work and had them leveled and polished after that. The guitar plays great now. I hope you can get yours fixed properly.

hi and thanks rockstar..sounds like a nightmare!! Did you get that refinishing done under warranty? I'm now suspecting that a packing knife used to open up the cardboard Epi boxes probably cut too deep and caused this damage. I'm seeing the dealer tomorrow will see what happens..wish me luck! Cheers.
Not under warrenty, because the I ONLY trust my tech to take care of "repairs" on my guitars. Plus, GC and/or Marshall Music would have charged me an arm and a leg, just to do a simple fret dressing. But yeah, good luck.

Lukesteele' date=' Hi! I hear you on the problem you're having with frets on you Epi LP. My first string used to catch on the

3rd fret. What happened was the 3rd fret was lifting and the 4th fret was too high. I showed it to a guitar tech and asked him if it was covered under the warranty. He said by the time I paid for the shippng and handling back and forth, it would cost me more than just paying him to fix them. I had him do the fret work and had them leveled and polished after that. The guitar plays great now. I hope you can get yours fixed properly.

[/quote']

Hi Paul, The shop I bought it from is the repair centre too sp no probs on shipping. Seems there's just one guy who does the repairs. Not sure he's a luthier. He seems more a salesguy to me but I will find out real soon..thanx :D

Eleven days old' date=' you say? Repair? By a "salesguy? How 'bout they replace the guitar instead?[/quote']

Hi Ron, Its not that easy let me explain...When I tried the guitar in the shop there was some guy jamming away at 120 DB at the same time and it was difficult to really hear the guitar I was playing. I thought I felt the string grab at the 12th fret but assumed it was me pulling the string off the neck that did it so I bought the guitar anyway. 2 days later I kicked my dog's play rope off the stairs and it eerily smacked into my guitar sitting on a chinese made guitar stand and I watched my LP sway until it fell on its face on my tile floor!! Some nut damage occurred and my volume pot also copped it and I replaced it. Now the shop guy's blaming me for the fret damage BUT he's graciously offered to repair the fret damage under warranty. If I hadnt had that stupid accident I could have asked for a replacement or refund but I'll just have to live with that now. If I ever buy another guitar I am going to bring a microscope lol..

Archived