Gibson Brands Forums

Refinish or not to refinish........

Chris the Gent

I know that i posted something like this not that long ago, but with a lot of posts being whiped out duing that recent 'crash' i didnt see the final posts due to me being on holiday.

Just to recap.....

i have a MIM strat in red, i think that i'd would look much much better natural with a tort pick guard.

should i jump in and strip the bad boy back then laquer it? thoughts please,

Or i could just leave it red,

Please advise....

-Chris.

Trouble is, you don't know what the wood looks like underneath (I'm assuming it's solid red). Otherwise, it's up to you.

yeah, your right it is solid red and i dont know what the wood looks like, but if the wood looks rubbish, i think it would look better Daphne blue or vintage cream, or even white.....

this is still pie in the sky at the moment, just wanting people's oppinions on how difficult a job this would be.....

-Chris,

Gee, I feel like the Giant Portal in the original Star Trek

episode "City on the edge of Forever" - "A Question! I have

waited centuries for a Question...".

To see what's under the paint, there are a couple of ways:

1. Remove pickguard, look inside. If you see solid wood from top to bottom

of cavity, git should be solid wood, but I can't say what the top wood grain

under the paint looks like - might be pretty, might be blecchhh.

If you see thin horizontal strips of glued-together wood, Yep, it's

plywood, and you'll be painting it a SOLID color (after many other steps).

2. Unbolt and remove neck, look for same as above, solid wood from top

to bottom of cut-out, or thin horizontal strips. Post back what you find and your

intentions, I'll try to provide as much what to do and mistakes to watch out for

as I can. I'm sure other members will help, too.

If you can, post pix of what you see when you do this, pickguard method preferred,

but both would be nice.......

To see what's under the paint, there are a couple of ways:

1. Remove pickguard, look inside. If you see solid wood from top to bottom

of cavity, git should be solid wood, but I can't say what the top wood grain

under the paint looks like - might be pretty, might be blecchhh.

If you see thin horizontal strips of glued-together wood, Yep, it's

plywood, and you'll be painting it a SOLID color (after many other steps).

2. Unbolt and remove neck, look for same as above, solid wood from top

to bottom of cut-out, or thin horizontal strips. Post back what you find and your

intentions, I'll try to provide as much what to do and mistakes to watch out for

as I can. I'm sure other members will help, too.

If you can, post pix of what you see when you do this, pickguard method preferred,

but both would be nice.......

Thanks Animalfarm,

I've just read your post and that seems like a quality idea,

I had a look around the internet last night and from the serial no. it should be solid poplar, I'm not really clued up on woods - apart from that I know that this is a cheaper wood and is used normaly instead of alder,

I was wondering if this is any help to start with?? any suggestions good, bad or indifferent welcome,

-Chris.

Poplar tends to be a yellowy/sick green kind of wood, with fairly unremarkable grain. Whilst sanding the finish off a strat isn't all that difficult, (I've done it myself, 90% by hand, and it didn't take all that long) I probably wouldn't recommend sanding your guitar. Frankly I think you'd be better off spending your time and money on a guitar in the colour you want, rather than mucking about trying to make your one look good. What's wrong with a red Strat anyway? Was good enough for Mark Knopfler!

dire_straits.jpg

yeah' date=' your right it is solid red and i dont know what the wood looks like, but if the wood looks rubbish, i think it would look better Daphne blue or vintage cream, or even white.....

this is still pie in the sky at the moment, just wanting people's oppinions on how difficult a job this would be.....

-Chris,[/quote']

OK, I will post this "bit", do some research, then post back with more...

The end result you wish is THIS:

8941860f2ce9fc49754780407bf9127f.jpg

As your MIM is poplar, what you'll find underneath is probably THIS:

teleback1.jpg

Bringing out the grain most likely will require a bit of staining, then sanding sealer, then sanding,

then shooting your own clear-coats, then sanding, then initial buffing, then intermediate buffing,

then polishing. This process will take WEEKS!!! Each successive layer(s) of stuff you put on the guitar

will require time to cure/gas-out prior to wet-sanding and applying the NEXT set of coatings, which

in turn will require gas-out time, etc, etc, etc. Bottom line - it CAN be done, but be prepared for a LOOOOONG

process...

I LIKE what you want to do regarding final look, but if this is your FIRST attempt at refinishing

a guitar, DO NOT USE YOUR STRAT AS A PRACTICE PLATFORM!!!!! No, No, No!!! You WILL make

many mistakes, some will be due to you (impatience, over-application of coatings), and some

will be due to circumstances beyond your control (high humidity, even a "gentle" breeze hitting

your coating will cause some areas to cure faster than others, resulting in "orange peel" - bummer).

I recommend getting a CHEAP beater guitar, even a $20 garage-sale special to do your first

attempt on. Bolt-on neck is easier to work with for learning. Make your mistakes on it, might even

end up with better than expected. I await a response. Still looking for how to post pix?

A recent project for me, had many problems, fixed 'em, still took 6-8 WEEKS to fully cure:

(Yeah, I know some of y'all have seen this before!)

Started as this:

100_0220.jpg

Intermediate Stages:

this1.jpg

100_0235.jpg

hondo2.jpg

Final Product:

100_0337.jpg

100_0338.jpg

thanks for being so honest Animal farm, thats what i was looking for and it's much appreciated, i'd much rather someone be straight to the point about things like this than for me to try it and, lets face it, probably balls it up,

i'm going to leave my strat as it is, for the time being, and get a beater like you said to 'experiment' on,

thanks for the advise,

- Chris.

Archived