Gibson Brands Forums

Unsung Korea, April, 2006...

matiac

...is when this Epiphone Les Paul Ultra was built that I inspected at the Guitar Center in New London Ct. earlier today through a Mesa Boogie 5:50, and I've got to tell you guys I fell in lust with this guitar. It had some kind of aftermarket pickups (guy didn't know what kind), and the guitar just barked through that amp. I set the EQ's bass at full, the mid at about 9:00, and the treble at about 1:00, gain cranked, master at about 2 at the 50 watt setting, and the most Bluesy sounds emanated from this combination. I marveled at the weight of the guitar, compared to my most beloved, and trusted Blue Bomber, it wasn't there. I especially dug the contour in the belly position, and the heritage cherry sunburst finish flattered the quilted maple veneer nicely. After playing this guitar for the better part of an hour, I actually contemplated trading 'ol Blue for this guitar, I almost instantly took to it, there was no awkward "getting used to" period with it, although the light gauge strings were a little weird, being used to 10's, these strings felt like 8's...too light. It was used and the price was 399 bucks, in my view worth every cent! After thinking about the trade option, I opted not to do that...'ol Blue's just too kool to part with. The other thing was new for me was the satin finish on it's neck, just smooth as silk. I will say, if the opportunity EVER presents itself, I will enthusiastically pounce on one of these variations of a Les Paul, simply one of the better guitars I've ever had the pleasure to play. And absolutely STUNNING to behold.

matiac, i have an 02 unsung custom and it is the most awesome playing overseas lespaul i ever had the pleasure of playing. it is just as awesome as my 1978 tb sunburst usa custom. i feel the unsungs are def. tops in their field.

enjoy it!!!!

I'm with you, Matt ...

My cherryburst LP Ultra is '07 Unsung and it's been my go-to guitar ever since it came home with me. It also appears on stage at the Flamingo four shows a week and has never let me down. The fact that its several pounds lighter than a regular Paula helps too!

Old Blue is your trademark, bubba ... so I can't see trading it in, but better days are coming (eventually). Keep her in mind for when the time when the Bomber needs a playmate!

Jim

Oh no, trading 'ol Blue was a very quickly passing fancy. What I found remarkable about the whole experience was how quickly I "took" to the guitar, and it's weight...it reminded me of an SG in that respect. One thing I did notice, and it was no doubt because of the chambering, and my proximity to the Mesa, was the guitars propensity to feed back, but in true Jimi fashion, I used it, and channeled Terrible Teddy, and I don't know what kind of pickups those were (they weren't stock), but they complemented that guitar, and it seemed to me the neck was hotter than the bridge...definately louder. I'm wondering if perhaps the installer may have inadverdantly reversed them? Hmm...oh yeah, the intro to "Spirit Of Radio" sounded pretty darn close with the Ultra. But not to worry Jim, that hot rodded Classic I have ain't going nowhere.

Archived