Gibson Brands Forums

Broadway String/Setup Recommendations???

denny1948golf

Hi all, I'm a new member here. I just bought a used Epiphone Broadway from a musician in Nashville. The Broadway is set up with a Seth Lover in the neck and a Gibson 59 (I think) in the bridge position. The guy I bought it from was using half round 12's. I don't care for the tone I'm hearing from these strings. They seem very dead to my ears. No sustain at all and kind of thuddy sounding. What would you suggest for strings? I'm learning finger style as in Chet. I love Chet's music. I'm playing through a Fender Princeton Reverb. I like the tone I hear in this video. Thought it may help with string recommendations.

Is there a guide for adjusting pickup heights? The guy I bought the guitar from only used the neck pickup and had lowered the bridge pickup out of the way.

Thanks, Res

A Broadway with that pickup combination ought to sound SWEEEEET!! I like flatwounds on mine --- I've been using D'Addario Chromes .011 gauge and like them a lot, but some other players swear by Thomastik-Infeld or Diamond.

Many Chet aficionados also prefer flatwounds, since they reduce finger noise on the strings as well as providing a richer tone. Let us know what you end up deciding on,

I'm still looking for setup information for the pickup.

Start with a minimum setting of 3/16" clearance between the tops of the pole piece screws to the bottom of the strings. Then, play around from there.

BTW, you'll probably like the "regular" nickel wounds (what I use) more than the half-round, since you described them as "dead". Flatwounds will sound even deader.

If it still has the Frequensator tail on it, you may find that the D string windings don't reach to the tuning post. I send a message to Gibson about it and they recommended their L-5 strings. I bought some and they not only reach but sound great on my Emperor.

If it still has the Frequensator tail on it' date=' you may find that the D string windings don't reach to the tuning post. I send a message to Gibson about it and they recommended their L-5 strings. I bought some and they not only reach but sound great on my Emperor.[/quote']

Regular strings won't reach the "D" tuner post? What the #*##! The Half Round's that are on it not only reach, they have four winding around the post.

No' date=' that's not what I said. The strings will reach, but the [b']windings may not reach[/b].

Sheesh, try to be helpful...

Sorry, I wasn't trying to come down on you at all. I appreciate knowing about the potential "D" string problem. I'll be installing the set of Light Jazz strings tomorrow. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Thanks, Res

If it still has the Frequensator tail on it' date=' you may find that the D string windings don't reach to the tuning post. I send a message to Gibson about it and they recommended their L-5 strings. I bought some and they not only reach but sound great on my Emperor.[/quote']

+1 on the Gibson L5 strings.

Red 333

Archived