Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Flying Vs and Explorers

AlanH

On the forum we hear a lot about Les Pauls, SGs and Archtops but we don't hear too much about Epiphones' Flying Vs and Explorers. They are classic shapes and you don't have to be a metal fan to play them (think Albert King).

Does anybody own one or is GASing for one (like me)? How do they play?

Pics from owners would be great too.

I know Sjael has an Explorer. I like Explorers aesthetically but they're a bit bulky for me to actually hold. Flying V's are nice and I actually prefer the Epi V to the Gibson V because the Epi has a convenient rubber strip on the underside so the thing doesn't slide off your leg, whereas the Gibson does not (go figure that). I don't own either though.... maybe if I get a well-paying job I might buy a V at some point...

Mad GAS for a Korina Explorer!!!

Dave

The Korina Explorer sure does have MY attention..........

I've been buying too much eq. lately though, so i'm going to have to wait a while on this one.(self imposed exile?)

The EX. is about the only shape I don't have in the collection, so it's just a matter of time............

The Korina Explorer sure does have MY attention..........

I've been buying too much eq. lately though' date=' so i'm going to have to wait a while on this one.(self imposed exile?)

The EX. is about the only shape I don't have in the collection, so it's just a matter of time............

[/quote']

Let's hope you're not talking about your future EX-WIFE, who got "bent out of shape" because you bought too much gear and didn't pay enough attention to HER =D>

Somebody say V and Explorer pics?? Dont have to ask me twice,i Love showin off these babies,

DSC00740.jpg

I bought the V on 2000 and the exin 2001 from the same store.They are both '98s from the Unsung factory in Korea and they play and sound great!!! The neck on the V is not to be believed!!1,,the Explorer is i bit more chunky but still pretty fast> The Sg in middle is a 2003 in dead mint condition that i found in 2008 to complete the complete the set of Korinas(i know i would still need a Moderne, but this is close enough for me).The 3 of them are now lovingly refered to as "The Unholy Trinity" You can catch the V in action on my Youtube page. Enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/maniakmusik3

MY Noisemakers:

Epiphone 2008 Sg Custom Prophecy GX

Epiphone 2003 Korina G-400 Sg

Epiphone 1998 Korina Explorer

Epiphone 1998 Korina Flying V

BC Rich 1981 Maple Mockingbird Handmade

Ibanez 1976 Stratocaster

Gibson 1968 Les Paul Custom

Charvel Fretless Bass

Washburn Lyon P bass

Guild Madiera P-600 Jumbo Acoustic

Applause A-25 Acoustic

Chuan Yin Marina Mark 20SS classical

Carlo Robelli 5 string Banjo

Carlo Robelli Electric Violin

Kay Electric Mandolin

Lignatone Mandolin

Midiman Radium Keyboard

2 Marshall JTM-612 60 watt 1 12 Combos

I know Sjael has an Explorer.

Oh my god' date=' someone on the internet remembered something about me! I'm honestly a little startled!

Here she is:

[img']http://sjael.ghost.net.nz/explorernew.jpg[/img]

2004 Saein (Korea) Gothic Explorer with chrome bridge and tail, and a set of chrome Grovers on it. Next up is a white pick guard and TRC. I might chuck a Bigsby B5 on it at some point, haven't really decided.

It's my favorite, and main gigging guitar, just feels amazing to play, sitting or standing. Bit bulky for recording sessions though (I don't really have a lot of space where I record.) The neck is perfect for me, guitar is/was flawless excepting the usual bumps and so forth. The neck feels a lot nicer than the super slim one on my Prophecy LP. Really outstanding guitar, although you have to be a decently-built person to really wield one, I'm personally 7'1" and it fits me perfectly, my rhythm guitarist however is about 2 feet shorter than me, and the guitar is bigger than he is. #-o

I'm also quite a V fan, I want to get a Goth one and make the same mods I'm doing to my explorer, but I'm out of work at the moment so it'll be a while.

I played an Explorer ('58 reissue/korina) almost exclusively for maybe 5 years in the mid-80's. The tone was incredibly bluesy, but overdriven a little, it growled some pretty heavy rock. I LOVED that guitar.

It was unbelievably well balanced given it's shape, no heavier than any LP I've ever played, and wasn't going anywhere if you played sitting down.

I only got rid of it because I needed some cash at the time and wasn't playing it much by then. That's one I'm still kicking myself over...

BTW: Gorgeous SG you've got there Maniak.

Somebody say V and Explorer pics?? Dont have to ask me twice' date='i Love showin off these babies,

[img']http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/maniakmusik_photos/DSC00740.jpg[/img]

I bought the V on 2000 and the exin 2001 from the same store.They are both '98s from the Unsung factory in Korea and they play and sound great!!! The neck on the V is not to be believed!!1,,the Explorer is i bit more chunky but still pretty fast> The Sg in middle is a 2003 in dead mint condition that i found in 2008 to complete the complete the set of Korinas(i know i would still need a Moderne, but this is close enough for me).The 3 of them are now lovingly refered to as "The Unholy Trinity" You can catch the V in action on my Youtube page. Enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/maniakmusik3

MY Noisemakers:

Epiphone 2008 Sg Custom Prophecy GX

Epiphone 2003 Korina G-400 Sg

Epiphone 1998 Korina Explorer

Epiphone 1998 Korina Flying V

BC Rich 1981 Maple Mockingbird Handmade

Ibanez 1976 Stratocaster

Gibson 1968 Les Paul Custom

Charvel Fretless Bass

Washburn Lyon P bass

Guild Madiera P-600 Jumbo Acoustic

Applause A-25 Acoustic

Chuan Yin Marina Mark 20SS classical

Carlo Robelli 5 string Banjo

Carlo Robelli Electric Violin

Kay Electric Mandolin

Lignatone Mandolin

Midiman Radium Keyboard

2 Marshall JTM-612 60 watt 1 12 Combos

Thanks for showing us those Korinas Maniak- they look very very nice indeed.

BTW, I love the fluidity of your soloing and vibrato technique as seen on the 'V Blues 2' clip. I think I've said this before, but your style reminds me of Chris Poland's and he is a very unique player. Check him out if you don't know him.

Alan

Let's hope you're not talking about your future EX-WIFE' date=' who got "bent out of [i']shape[/i]" because you bought too much gear and didn't pay enough attention to HER :)

LOL..............actually, it's quite the opposite !

Because I saved a good chunk of money getting my latest amp-head at a good discount (complaint to corporate prompted it) AND converted an old shorted out Fender solid state combo into a 1x12 speaker cab, saving another $200 in the process, the Mrs. has been pointing out new things SHE'D like to see me get, (Tribal Green Quilt Agile AL-3000 LP..........Korina V/Explorer........Spalted Maple Agile Tele).

She likes to see me "expand the collection" because when I pass on, except for my '88 model 30'th Anniversary GLP Plaintop (which our Godson gets) everything goes to our (her) neice.

BUT, my DeVille needs 2 tires @ $135 ea. PLUS mounting/balancing (sale price) AND some work on the power steering unit, probably replacement, @ $800-1000.

So, like I said, it's truly a case of Self Imposed Exile........but only a temporary one, I promise.#-o

Archived