Gibson Brands Forums

Hey WedgeSG

matiac

Matiac, she's one of my favorite guitarists - Ruyter Suys. Lead guitarist in Nashville *****. Originally from Canada she and her husband Blaine Cartwright now reside in Atlanta. They recently finished a tour with Motorhead (hense the Lemmy incl. pic.) I actually bumped into her and drummer Jeremy Thompson on the floor at the AC/DC show in Atlanta and they were some of the nicest folks you'd ever hope to meet. The gal can flat wear out an SG. Check out their latest release "From Hell to Texas". Another thing that I just find so intriging about her is how her guitars are just so actually worn along the lines of SRV or Bonnie Raitt. You may have noticed from some previous shots the neck pickup is missing, (ala Malcom Young), one knob, open holes, for on or off SG in your face purpose. She's recently been sporting a new one with some custom inlay work but I kinda miss the road dog axes. Nashville ***** has been mentioned on the Gibson site a time or two usually in some AC/DC text. It's some straight ahead, no apologies stuff, with some pretty hooky but racy lyrics... but that's pretty refreshing in today's pre-packaged, politically-correct, junior-pop, lame sameness.

Wedgie

Midi, glad you've found them to be as much fun as I have. This is a band that hasn't forgotten "What it's About". If they were in it for the money you can bet they'd have picked a tad more marketable handle. On their first wide-release CD they got a grammy nomination for "Fried Chicken and Coffee" - forget who won the catagory, but they probably didn't for network fears of having to say the name on national TV. As you may have guessed the name was taken from an intro on Ted Nugent's Double Live Gonzo LP. Being a Ted fan, I caught the reference the first time I found it in a record shop bin, and have been a fan ever since. Today is Ruyter's birthday by the way, there's a pic on their site where she's displaying a gift she recieved; check out - http://twitpic.com/oc0ek to see what she's obviously pretty happy about!

As far as Blaine's vocals and his ability to turn a phrase: he's been compared to Alice Cooper. Ruyter mentions this in an interview and it kinda surprised me to hear her say that - since I'd made the same observation that others must be making as well. Certain songs, it's realllly similar. Hope you and others continue to investigate one band that's a bit off the radar and seems to like it better that way.

Wedgie

Archived