Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone LP Prophecy

Larsson

Hey, Larsson ...

I just happened to see this thread on page three. I own the GX version of the Les Paul Prophecy. I've had it for some time now and I thnk it's a wonderful guitar!

LP Prophecy's have all the appointments you'd find on any LP Custom: gold hardware, full binding on body, neck and headstock, but it has the Prophecy inlays that look a bit like lightning bolts to me. These are heavy guitars ... no weight relief on these and they sustain beautifully. Both have flamed maple tops and one of the nicest necks I've ever had my hands on ... slim, super fast and ebony!

The only real difference between the GX and EX versions (besides the color) are the pickups. I just happen to find the Dirty Fingers much more versatile than the EMG's. They can howl like a banshee, but they can also warm up and play jazz and blues quite nicely. I like EMG's a lot, but find them mostly suited to harder rock and metal.

That being said, I recommend both guitars quite highly!

Jim

As an owner of the EX and having played the GX, I would firstly like to echo what Jim said. Next up, the quality and workmanship on these guitars is simply amazing, the only flaw on mine is the crack that I put through the neck for style points. In my humble opinion they easily hold their own against any Gibson I've played in that regard. I've seen a lot of variance in the finishes of these guitars, some being a flat cardboard-y finish and some, like mine or Jim's, being exquisitely beautiful:

lppex.jpg

Get the EX if you play hard rock/metal or even blues and like black guitars, get the GX if you play everything else. [biggrin]

As an aside to Jim, have you ever tried EMG pickups running on 18 volts? They are really something else entirely. If you ever get a Jackson or Ibby into your store with two batteries, I recommend giving it a whirl.

As an aside to Jim' date=' have you ever tried EMG pickups running on 18 volts? They are really something else entirely. If you ever get a Jackson or Ibby into your store with two batteries, I recommend giving it a whirl.[/quote']

Great point, Sjael!

I've been paying some attention (maybe a bit too much attention!) to a couple of Shecters as well as a "two battery" Ibanez at the store the last couple of weeks. I still may not love 'em, but I've developed a whole new level of respect for EMG-equipped guitars!

Jim

thanks for the feedback guys....

ive got about £100 saved so far, will get a bunch more for christmas hopefully ^^

i love the EX and GX looks, but prefer the black hardware to gold hardware (never really liked the gold hardware on guitars)

I play pretty much like blues, rock, metal, hardcore, and sometimes some country.

will try both guitarsd compare them with standards customs etc.. and find one which i like [blink]

cheers,

Larsson

Archived