Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone pickups samick plant

fabio1281734204

Regarding your pickup question. Personally I think they're worthless. However I've heard countless reports of people liking them.

I'm guessing that would be 2001, 2002 when they upgraded to a more accurate PAF-type construction.

Tuner machine JINHO comes installed only in the guitars epiphone unsung plant? Is tuner machine good or valley only for changing for grover?

I have an Epiphone Chet Atkins which originally came with JINHO tuners. Maybe I was unlucky but they were the worst I ever had. I actually think the saying "gold plated turd" was invented to describe them. However, I heard that JINHO make the Wilkinson brand tuners and they seem to be well thought of so maybe I just got a dodgy set.

Sorry about that then..BTW how did you detect that?

Whack the magnet bar with a hammer and see if it breaks up?

Now that would be a foolprooftest...[biggrin]

Nah, Once you know, the difference is pretty obvious. Alnicos are metal-bars. Ceramics look like bars of darkgrey/black plastic or clay.

I entered in site EPIWIKI DC Resistance, and I did not find the model of pickups that my Epiphone Les Paul standard samick 1996, Is equal to this of this ceramic site below is magnet on the inside the bobbin is transparent and bridge and 8,40 are 8,44K neck

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-123225121-captadores-epiphone-_JM

http://media.photobucket.com/image/epiphone%20pickups%20samick/Leidolfr/Scream-fjas/12052008001.jpg

I entered in site EPIWIKI DC Resistance' date=' and I did not find the model of pickups that my Epiphone Les Paul standard samick 1996, Is equal to this of this ceramic site below is magnet on the inside the bobbin is transparent and bridge and 8,40 are 8,44K neck

[/quote']

Correct, the list mainly features pickups currently in use by Gibson/Epiphone. I figured no one was interested in the old Samicks anyway. I will incorporate them at a later date.

Yes they are the same. The transparent bobbins and KO-values are correct.

I'm not sure if they are the same, but I removed a set from my G-310 (samick) with transparent bobbins. They were god-awful sounding. They are now finishing out their lives as refridgerator magnets.

I'm hoping these arent the same PUPs they used on the better Epi's of the day. Seriously. I know very little about pickups, but those were terrible...even from my perspective.

They are now finishing out their lives as refridgerator magnets.

Well it's nice to know someone has found a better use for them..I'm sure they are better fridge

magnets than p_ups.

Rich..I want them back...I just feel like freezing one at -20C and smashing it with a hammer! [biggrin]

no..on the second thought..I know they have found a better home with you.

I'm hoping these arent the same PUPs they used on the better Epi's of the day. Seriously. I know very little about pickups' date=' but those were terrible...even from my perspective.[/quote']

Well they weren't that bad back in the good ole days when Gibson actually made them.

Just goes to show that when you start to cut costs to the bone by making them in Korea..

you just don't know what grade of components will be used.

If no spec was given, then anything goes...alnico was probably too expensive,

so the pickup manufacturer assumed a magnet is a magnet...and these are cheap..

and nobody will know the difference..especially Samick.

Archived