Gibson Brands Forums

Banner J-45 with mahogany top, ebony fretboard

ClassicGuitars

Hi, I would like to hear from anyone who may also have or information about a 1944 or 1945 "Banner" J-45 with majogany top, poplar neckblock and ebony (coffeewood) fretboard and similar F.O.N. (609-21).

I just picked up a real beauty. Mine has a multi-ply soundhole rosette, single binding top and back, truss rod, and rectangular bridge. I'm trying to nail down the likely production date and hope to compare details about when wartime material shortages prompted which substitutions. Thanks a lot! Larry at Classic Guitars.

You ought to head over to the UMGF....Willie Henkes and John Thomas will want to know about the guitar, and they are working on creating the definitive guide to dating old Gibsons....go to the "Vintage Corner" section of the forum, and you'll likely get more information than you could imagine.

Hi' date=' I would like to hear from anyone who may also have or information about a 1944 or 1945 "Banner" J-45 with majogany top, poplar neckblock and ebony (coffeewood) fretboard and similar F.O.N. (609-21). Ihope to compare details about when wartime material shortages prompted which substitutions. Thanks a lot! Larry at Classic Guitars.

[/quote']

Try this link. They have a registry with pictures:

Banner Gibsons

and here's the UMGF:

UMGF

Ooohhhh -- NICE avatar' date=' Karen!!

It doesn't look much like an SJ though -- is that a new custom guitar you're dreaming on?

Fred[/quote']

Isn't that a gorgeous thing? I swiped the photo from pictures posted online of NAMM this past year. I'm sure I will own something like that at some point in the future! =D>

Archived