Gibson Brands Forums

Dot upgrade: GFS pickup? vibrato?

tchen

i use to have a modern ric 330, and i would like to get back somewhat more to that kind of sound (granted, i know 'nothing will sound quite like a ric'). however, i also use to have a sheraton with 57 classics and it sounded great. i just feel like the ric had a more distinct, unique sound. i guess if i found a sound that fell somewhere between the two, it wouldnt be a bad thing, but if possible id like to get closer to the ric sound.

i just got an epi dot, and am torn between a few different gfs pickups. first, i stumbled onto the mean/dream 90s. thought id try these, till i found out about the retrotron series, then the dream 180s. im really confused by reading all the reviews and trying to take into consideration the different magnets and windings and the wood of the dot deluxe. i know the retrotron series are quoted as sounding "ric-ish," but the ric330 i had had the modern "hi-gain single coils" with ceramic magnet. the retrotron series sound nice in theory, but im wondering if i really want that 330 sound back if i should just try a higher output pickup, and perhaps experiment with coil-tapping. read a couple reviews that compared the dream 90s to the modern ric pickups. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

also, anyone have anything to say about bigsby vs. vibrola?

thanks!

tyler

i use to have a modern ric 330' date=' and i would like to get back somewhat more to that kind of sound (granted, i know 'nothing will sound quite like a ric'). however, i also use to have a sheraton with 57 classics and it sounded great. i just feel like the ric had a more distinct, unique sound. i guess if i found a sound that fell somewhere between the two, it wouldnt be a bad thing, but if possible id like to get closer to the ric sound.

i just got an epi dot, and am torn between a few different gfs pickups. first, i stumbled onto the mean/dream 90s. thought id try these, till i found out about the retrotron series, then the dream 180s. im really confused by reading all the reviews and trying to take into consideration the different magnets and windings and the wood of the dot deluxe. i know the retrotron series are quoted as sounding "ric-ish," but the ric330 i had had the modern "hi-gain single coils" with ceramic magnet. the retrotron series sound nice in theory, but im wondering if i really want that 330 sound back if i should just try a higher output pickup, and perhaps experiment with coil-tapping. read a couple reviews that compared the dream 90s to the modern ric pickups. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

also, anyone have anything to say about bigsby vs. vibrola?

thanks!

tyler[/quote']

You can put Ric pickups on your dot, it still won't sound like a Ric. Pickups are only part of the equation, the way a guitar is constructed plays an important roll in the way the guitar sounds. Having said that, I would suggest the Liverpools or the Memphis. Both are pretty twangy / jangly. The Dream 90s are great, but to me they really don't capture a Ric vibe.

Vibrola is cool looking, Bigsby works.

Yes' date=' but IMO they don't work well on those guitars. They were designed with flat tops in mind. I'm sure you csn fit it on there, but I don't recommend it.[/quote']

I had no problem with my Caiola, no problem installing it, it worked fine. And I'd sure like to have one of those Alex Lifeson ES-355s.

565054.jpg

I had no problem with my Caiola' date=' no problem installing it, it worked fine. And I'd sure like to have one of those Alex Lifeson ES-355s.

[img']http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/5/4/565054.jpg[/img]

That is a hawt looking guitar Jerry. I've always like the looks of the Vibrola on a 335 type guitar. I put a B70 on my Dot and I am totally happy with it. I felt more comfortable doing the B70 over the Vibrola, but dang that 355 looks sharp!

That is a hawt looking guitar Jerry. I've always like the looks of the Vibrola on a 335 type guitar. I put a B70 on my Dot and I am totally happy with it. I felt more comfortable doing the B70 over the Vibrola' date=' but dang that 355 looks sharp![/quote']

Well as I stated earlier, "Vibrola is cool looking, Bigsby works".

Archived