Gibson Brands Forums

Help with Model number...

greeneggsandham

Need help with Model number of 1977/78 Epiphone Bass. Can’t find Serial number, not on headstock, neck or neck bolt plate (where the heck is it?). "Made in Japan" stamped on neck bolt plate. Bought at Wonderland Music in Detroit 1978 (could have been 1977?). Precision body style with sunburst finish. Neck and bridge pickups with switch (looks like humbuckers). White pick guard. Maple neck (?). Head stock is black on front with "Epiphone" logo and has two tuners on top and two on bottom. 34” scale. One volume and one tone. Missing bridge cover. Wonder what it is worth also. (Will try and post picture using Generation Zero’s directions). Thanks.

s6300002p.jpg

s6300008w.jpg

Don't know if it applies here or not, but there was a time when the serial numbers were on a sticker on the back of the headstock and not actually printed on the guitar/bass itself. Did you have it there when you bought it and take it off?

Just a thought.

Post the pics when you get a chance. There are those here who are far better at this than I am. They should be able to assist you.

Sheila

Need help with Model number of 1977/78 Epiphone Bass. Can’t find Serial number' date=' not on headstock, neck or neck bolt plate (where the heck is it?). "[b']Made in Japan[/b]" stamped on neck bolt plate. Bought at Wonderland Music in Detroit 1978 (could have been 1977?). Precision body style with sunburst finish. Neck and bridge pickups with switch (looks like humbuckers). White pick guard. Maple neck (?). Head stock is black on front with "Epiphone" logo and has two tuners on top and two on bottom. 34” scale. One volume and one tone. Missing bridge cover. Wonder what it is worth also. (Will try and post picture using Generation Zero’s directions). Thanks.

Sounds line an ET-280. Serial # was usually on a sticker as Sheila suggested, but those numbers were just random didn't signify anything. Early to mid 70s is the right time frame, made in Japan by Matsumoku.

Epi%2070s%20cat%20pg8-9.jpg

Using jerrymac's catalog page' date=' looks to be the ET-285. You've obviously taken very good care of her - she looks great for a 30 year old bass!

Sheila[/quote']

Yup, that's what she be!!! He didn't have the photo when I first saw read his post, but he said it was Precision body style which made me think ET-280. It's actually more like the original Coronet body, but with a bolt on neck.

BTW, I like the axe in your new avatar. Is that a new one???

Yup' date=' that's what she be!!! He didn't have the photo when I first saw read his post, but he said it was Precision body style which made me think ET-280. It's actually more like the original Coronet body, but with a bolt on neck.

BTW, I like the axe in your new avatar. Is that a new one??? [/quote']

Thank you Sheila and jerrymac! I searched some and found the above catalog and it stated it was from 1974. So I guess mine is a a few years after that. I wouldn't have thought it would have been that easy to find out about this bass. Now I need to find out what it is worth. If it is only $100 or so I might not bother keeping it. If it is worth more it might be work keeping. Neither of my kids show any interest in it.

Thank you Sheila and jerrymac! I searched some and found the above catalog and it stated it was from 1974. So I guess mine is a a few years after that. I wouldn't have thought it would have been that easy to find out about this bass. Now I need to find out what it is worth. If it is only $100 or so I might not bother keeping it. If it is worth more it might be work keeping. Neither of my kids show any interest in it.

I think 1978 was the last year they were manufactured. Your bass looks like it's in great condition, all original, definitely worth more than $100. I'm going to say $250 plus or minus, but don't hold me to it.

Yup' date=' that's what she be!!! He didn't have the photo when I first saw read his post, but he said it was Precision body style which made me think ET-280. It's actually more like the original Coronet body, but with a bolt on neck.[/quote']

Wasn't this the 70's Japanese take on the Newport or Embassy bass? I believe it was the Embassy that had two pickups but the body shape was the same on both.

Wasn't this the 70's Japanese take on the Newport or Embassy bass? I believe it was the Embassy that had two pickups but the body shape was the same on both.

Yeah' date=' I said Coronet thinking of the guitar version but Newport would have been more accurate. In fact, it's often referred to as the Newport Bass, even in Blue Book. From the Vintage Guitars UK website:

[i']

In the 1970s the Epiphone (now Japanese manufactured) launched a new bass dubbed Newport, however with a model number ET285. This was a double pickup instrument with a similar body shape. but a bolt-on neck and very different hardware.[/i]

Yup' date=' that's what she be!!! He didn't have the photo when I first saw read his post, but he said it was Precision body style which made me think ET-280. It's actually more like the original Coronet body, but with a bolt on neck.

BTW, I like the axe in your new avatar. Is that a new one??? [/quote']

Yes!! I need to get a better, clearer shot for avatar use. Thanks for noticing!

Sheila

Archived