Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone ever played a Gretsch Rancher Jumbo acoustic electric model 5022c

lpfan

I have been gassing for one of these and I found one on e-bay for $350. Pretty good deal but I know with e-bay its always a risk since you can't try before you buy. Has anybody played one of these? What are your opinions and experiences with this model? Thanks.

I have been gassing for one of these and I found one on e-bay for $350. Pretty good deal but I know with e-bay its always a risk since you can't try before you buy. Has anybody played one of these? What are your opinions and experiences with this model? Thanks.

I had one for awhile:

GR_full.jpg

Really nice neck, it played great. Almost like an electric. Acoustically it was fair, not a lot of sparkle, kinda mellow. Better sounding amplified, good for direct in recording. Overall, a pretty cool guitar, good price.

I've had some chanes to mess around with a couple. OK for the price, not especially my cup of tea, but played well and a decent sound acoustically. I suspect that Jerrymac's comment about it doing better plugged in to be true. A buddy has one that he uses at the open mic he MCs, and it sounds really fine.

I love the ones without the cutway and without internal pickup (or let's say without the 'knobs' on the side of the guitar....

I had a 12 string no pickup' date=' no cutaway, western motif:

[img']http://home.earthlink.net/~jkmcleer/Guitars/z01.jpg[/img]

This was a 6022, the Professional Series made in Japan. Acoustically, a lot better than the Korean 5022C 6-string I had.

I would love to have the professional series but its just out of my price range. I'll be happy with the 5022C if I can get it.

Don't get me wrong, the 5022c is a really nice acoustic / electric, sounds great, I used it for recording and I was very happy with the results.

Sh11111111111111111111t!!!!!!!!!!! Somebody bought it at the buy it now price. I was going to do it today and they did while I was asleep last night. Those sneaky b@st@rds! LOL! Oh well, I'll find another one sooner or later.

Sh11111111111111111111t!!!!!!!!!!! Somebody bought it at the buy it now price. I was going to do it today and they did while I was asleep last night. Those sneaky b@st@rds! LOL! Oh well' date=' I'll find another one sooner or later.[/quote']

Major bummer.

I remember seeing someone playing a big old Gretsch acoustic, I couldn't figure out who it was. Then I saw the thread about Album of the Decade, and it suddenly dawned on me. It was Frankie Bruno who played with Springsteen on the Pete Seegar Sessions Band Tour. Big old sunburst, not sure of the model. Did a quick Google, this was the best photo I could come up with. I'll have to watch the Dublin video and look for it.

86130622.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19374ECC42B7A3FA40DB9F3BA0C19A896CBE30A760B0D811297

I have a friend who has both an original mid-1950s Rancher (which was handed down to him by his father) and an offshore repro. I played both. Only my two yen but the imported Rancher sounded nothing like the original. While it still has the cool looks, the offshore version was one of the tinniest and thinnest sounding guitars I have ever played.

Archived