Gibson Brands Forums

Pre-made Assemblies

When I bought my JP Emperor it had a dodgy switch and I decided that I might as well throw in a new assembly. I ordered one from David at Mojotone who took my measurements from my Emperor and made me an assembly using all the components of the their 335 assembly. When I fitted the assembly and new pickups the guitar felt and sounded so much better, the difference was very noticeable and when I saw how flimsy the stock wiring was, it kind of shocked me... Makes me wonder whats inside my Sheraton and how a small investment like $90 can make such a difference....

media.nl?id=6576&c=923962&h=b9d69ef2d73cc11ea12b

Included...

* (4) Potentiometers- 500K Mojotone CTS Short Shaft

* (1) Switch- Switchcraft Straight-type 3-way Toggle

* (1) Jack- Switchcraft L11 1/4" mono input jack extra long

* Wire- Black 22 Ga. Stranded Cloth Covered

* Wire- White 22 Ga. Stranded Cloth Covered

* (2) Capacitor- Mojo Vitamin T .022uf @ 630v

* (2) Volume Mods

* (1) Instructions

* (1) Wiring Diagram

Cost me $90

I am now thinking of upgrading my Sheraton (and possibly a second "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheraton that I pick up in two weeks if it plays OK) and am thinking about the same assembly.

Thing is, I do not know what else is on the market in pre-made assemblies, and if any of the guys on the forum are able to produce equally good if not better (Carverman spoke of using Gibson braided wire on assemblies).

Just wondering, while I am making plans, of what are all the options are.

I would ideally, like to learn how to solder, and do these assemblies myself.

However, if I bought all the parts above, and then added shipping, then bought a soldering kit, my test runs, etc.

Seeing I will only need two assemblies, I think I am better buying ready made.

So what are the options out there....

Hi Rich went to Wyman site and could not find any pre-made assemblies' date=' just kits...if you have a link to the pre-mades would appreciate it...

[/quote']

Sorry Joe, I was under the distinct impression he sold prewired kits too. Maybe he used to. His bass kits (still?) come prewired.

Still might make a good budget option. A Switchcraft 3way, jack, some wire and soldering don't add up to 48 bucks to some folks. :-)

Thanks Strumbone

Mojo's are still looking good price and convenience wise, compared to those options.

Also the Wymore $48 option then solder it all yourself, is not for me, would rather pay the extra $40 dollars to have it all expertly soldered, for peace of mind.

What was interesting was the vintage or modern wiring option at Acme.... Will have to think about that and ask if Mojo can provide the options.

Hmmmm, I may have to get into this racket as well. Thats only about $10 worth of parts, I could get it wired up in about 10-15 minutes. Thats a pretty steep profit margin. And the best part is I wouldn't have to do the install myself!

BTW, you'll still have to solder the ground.

well "mojo" tone costs a bit more..but if you are after a particular "vintage sound",

then why not? I've used the polyester Sprague orange drops for years..and my ears

have got accustomed to their specific "tone".

But I've always wondered what the difference is between those and the more expensive PIO NOS Sprague Black Beauties aka "Bumblebees", or the Vitamin Q, Jupiter Beeswax, or any of the so called

"mojo tone" caps.

Yes, I know we've thrashed this out time and time again..and if you are using the

cheaper line of p_ups, it probably makes no difference...but if one is truly in

search of the "Holy Grail" of tone, the Vintage sound that makes the original

57 PAFs and the guitars they were in so unique and expensive now...there

has to "bee" something to it.

Yes, the cap and the pot are basically low pass filters and the value determines

the rolloff curve and it's all the same electronically..but why do some players

swear they can hear the difference?

Thoughts/opinions?

Musikron if you could give me a good price for two assemblies with "gibson braided wire" vintage wiring, and all the bits and bobs...........Carverman is talking about ......... this is about drawing up an ideal specification for certain Pickups..... I can't see me ever getting a set of vintage epiphone single coil minis......I am going for Lollar Firebirds....so the spec of that assembly will have to suit them.......the other assembly will also be probably for a decent set of PAF clones, or Seymour Jazz/JB hotrodded set (again what is the chance of actually getting a set of vintage PAFS, the prices I have seen are ridiculous)

It is weird when you see what comes out of a Gibson 345

es-345-electr-003.jpg

and what comes out of a stock Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II

ass2.jpg

Hmmmm' date=' I may have to get into this racket as well.

[/quote']

No kidding... Here's a tip. Buy a batch of pots, measure KO-values and select them in sets of 4 for closest value. Sell these "matched sets" for double the profitmargin... [biggrin]

file.php?id=895&t=1

No kidding... Here's a tip. Buy a batch of pots, measure KO-values and select them in sets of 4 for closest value. Sell these "matched sets" for double the profitmargin... BigGrin

file.jpg

Big Grin ?????????????????????????????????????????????

Carverman wrote:

well "mojo" tone costs a bit more..but if you are after a particular "vintage sound",

then why not? I've used the polyester Sprague orange drops for years..and my ears

have got accustomed to their specific "tone".

But I've always wondered what the difference is between those and the more expensive PIO NOS Sprague Black Beauties aka "Bumblebees", or the Vitamin Q, Jupiter Beeswax, or any of the so called

"mojo tone" caps

Dan what the point of the thread is..... I have no soldering experience....... I don't want to learn these skills for sake of a couple of assemblies..... What I want is to know all the options and what the optimum wiring configuration is for the pickups I will have to choose in the absence of the ones I would "ideally" like to have.

If you are positing that I should use vintage style capacitors, pots and wiring with a set of Lollars and PAF clones then all I need is a diagram of what that assembly should look like and consist of.... but then I am going to have to get someone to make those two assemblies for me......I don't want to start soldering....dangerous, I might start to like it and that will fuel more projects.....:-)

If you are positing that I should use vintage style capacitors' date=' pots and wiring with a set of Lollars and PAF clones then all I need is a diagram of what that assembly should look like and consist of.... but then I am going to have to get someone to make those two assemblies for me......I don't want to start soldering....dangerous, I might start to like it and that will fuel more projects.....:-)

[/quote']

Ok..you have a point, but we were discussing "mojo tone" and the picture you supplied has vitamin T caps..

(polyester in oil in a metal case)..which was what I was eluding to.

Soldering stuff together..especially something as simple as guitar circuit, shouldn't be a big challenge.

All you need is a small wattage soldering iron, some electronic solder and a pair of needle nose.

However, if you are more interested in playing that working on them..then yes, prewired kits are better

for you..even if you have to pay a bit more for them.

As far as diagrams for the standard Gibson wiring..there are several online sites that have the diagram

and Seymour Duncans site has all the nice diagrams you could ever use. These are called pictorial diagrams

because you don't have to read schematics to be able to understand them.

As far as diagrams for the standard Gibson wiring..there are several online sites that have the diagram

and Seymour Duncans site has all the nice diagrams you could ever use. These are called pictorial diagrams

because you don't have to read schematics to be able to understand them.

Thanks Dan this is the type of information I am after if I can find a vintage Gibson/Epiphone schematic of what the exact spec of that 1960 Epiphone Zephyr or a Gibson 335/345 of the period.........where would find detailed schematics of those...

There are 3 guys in particular on this site that I learned a tremendous amount from you are one of those guys Dan......I used to train Karate before my health declined......so you and those other two dudes I should start referring to as Sensei.....So Sensei Dan I thank you once again.....

There are 3 guys in particular on this site that I learned a tremendous amount from you are one of those guys Dan......I used to train Karate before my health declined......so you and those other two dudes I should start referring to as Sensei.....So Sensei Dan I thank you once again.....

Joe,

here's the wiring site and the actual configuration you need for Gibson style wiring..bog standard.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w

Sensei?..why thank you..actually, I'm just a wannabee...I'm not a luthier either,

but I would love to play one on TV someday..and I'm not a jazz guitarist..but I manage in my own style,

...and I'm not an electronics expert..but I've learned how to troubleshoot and solder

over the years...so any kind of kudos for me is much appreciated.

I used a built-up harness form BCS Guitars for my Dot, they offer Les Paul and 335 styles. Very nice quality, a few dollars less than the Mojo harness, very thorough instructions. Same pots as Mojo, and heavy braided-shield wire. They have both parts kits and assemblies.

BCS Guitars Vintage wiring

(No connection to the company, just a happy customer)

Hey barrysrq

Thanks, as another unconnected epiphone owner looking for the best deals is assemblies big thanks for the heads up on this one.

Just great to know what all the options are and in the spirit of free market economics find the best quality at the best price.

Will have a good look around the BCS website.

Archived