Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone les Paul

SketchyEtchy

I did it.

Step one: Get guitar with broken neck at a good price.picture080uv.jpg

Step two: Hold breathe and snap that sucker off.

picture110sr.jpg

Step three: Spend days plotting the clamp job, then glue, clamp and wait.

picture112e.jpg

picture113o.jpg

It looks worse than it is, but there was a slight slippage that I will address. The guitar would not set up properly prior to my doing this. Keep in mind, I've worked with wood, but had never done a quitar neck before. Go with the advise everyone gave me - Take it to a professional!

But yes, a neck repair is doable.

Sheila

all the guitars are brand new' date=' there all started at 1p. a few are brand new but probally will go for loads. but the broken ones are like £20-£30, + £19.99 p&p. ile go for the white one. [b']Then if I win take it to a professional[/b]

Smart move. Good luck.

And Paruwi, there are no pics!! [-(

Sheila

Step two: Hold breathe and snap that sucker off.

Somehow I wouldn't recommend this step for either of the pictured guitars. [biggrin]

Just the other day I repaired a broken neck on my Les Paul much like the white one there, but up under the 2nd fret. With regards to glue, I went to the engineering supplies shop up the road from work, asked for a recommendation and they gave me some kind of super-esque glue. Musikron is now going to recommend you a different kind of glue, and I would recommend his suggestion as he has a lot more experience than I do in the field, but it worked absolutely fine for me; the break is now rock-solid and has been for a few weeks now.

The cost of a professional repair will likely make it cost MORE than a new one. Especially on an Epiphone. Now a vintage piece maybe you'll save a couple bucks. But rule of thumb is, if your guitar costs less than $1200, you are not going to save any money by havin a major repair done. I would charge nearly what those guitars cost new to do those repairs.

The cost of a professional repair will likely make it cost MORE than a new one. Especially on an Epiphone. Now a vintage piece maybe you'll save a couple bucks. But rule of thumb is' date=' if your guitar costs less than $1200, you are not going to save any money by havin a major repair done. I would charge nearly what those guitars cost new to do those repairs.[/quote']

Then you charge too much. I took my LPC to a VERY VERY respected Nashville luthier and he's charging me $80. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

If it's $80 just to squirt some glue in there and clamp it, then thats another story and is not a proper repair. But fine for a cheapo Epi. But to fix that black one would require a ton of work to do it right.

I charge what I'm worth. Sometimes less cause I'm a nice guy who likes to help folks out whenever I can.

If it's $80 just to squirt some glue in there and clamp it' date=' then thats another story and is not a proper repair. But fine for a cheapo Epi. But to fix that black one would require a ton of work to do it right.

I charge what I'm worth. Sometimes less cause I'm a nice guy who likes to help folks out whenever I can.[/quote']

The neck was stipped of finish and oiled, so no finish work required. (Not like I care what it looks like...) He's epoxy-ing the head back on, putting in 3 composite splines, adding the "points" on the headstock for the Gibson shape (that cost me $20 extra, but everything else was included in the price of the repair.) and rebinding the headstock. Of course the Nashville market is VERY VERY competitive so you gotta have a good price to get any work...

Archived