Gibson Brands Forums

2007 Gibson Melody Maker reissue

Guest icantbuyafender1281734135

Guest icantbuyafender

Im going to pull the trigger on a gently used twin pickup model.

does anyone have one of these and if so, whats the skinny? (your opinion)

Its too good a deal to pass on! $300!

Finally gettin a proper gibby...

Thank you, uncle sam for the tax return!

Ive heard generally great things about these. Anything to be concerned about though?

I have a single-pickup model and I'm quite fond of it. It's very high-output, and a nice blend of a Telecaster and Les Paul Junior. If you turn both knobs up to their max, it will break up the Valve Junior nicely. If you roll the volume down a bit, you can get very bright tones, roll the volume up and tone down, and it gets smoother, and much more like a Telecaster.

It's really a great guitar. I paid $329 for mine, new. $300 for a used dual-pickup model is a good price.

Guest icantbuyafender
I have a single-pickup model and I'm quite fond of it. It's very high-output' date=' and a nice blend of a Telecaster and Les Paul Junior. If you turn both knobs up to their max, it will break up the Valve Junior nicely. If you roll the volume down a bit, you can get very bright tones, roll the volume up and tone down, and it gets smoother, and much more like a Telecaster.

It's really a great guitar. I paid $329 for mine, new. $300 for a used dual-pickup model is a good price.[/quote']

Thanks pohatu!

How is the quality? good workmanship?

It's a solid guitar. A lot of people have an issue with the finish, which is essentially the same as the Faded SG/Les Paul Studio/Flying V models, but I like it. Mine has a slight blemish - a light pink spot - but it's barely noticable.

They also have historically-accurate cutaways. The original single-cut Les Paul Junior, Special, and Melody Makers had 1/4" of wood sticking out next to the neck, in the cutaway. This didn't go away until they were reissued in 1975. You can see it if you look at the 1958 VOS Les Paul Junior and compare it to a modern Les Paul Junior "standard".

Guest icantbuyafender

GOT IT!!!!!

A GENUINE GIBSON.... in my cheap, solder burned, gearheaded graduate student's hands! ( well, in about a week or so)

Dont think I died if i disappear for like a month. It just means my laptop took backseat and Im riding, with my GIBSON taking shotgun.

haha i thought this day would seriously NEVER come.

HNGD!!!

Yea man they are good guitars, ONE thing to look out for though cause its not an easy fix. Check the neck set angle, I've run across a few that are not properly set, and folks bring it to me wondering why their new guitar does not play right. If its second hand, you always have to question the sellers motives.

But $300 is a fair price. I paid that for my SG faded used, it had a crack by the tuners, so I go tit cheap, all my axes are players so what do I care right?

But good luck getting the MM!

Guest icantbuyafender
Yea man they are good guitars' date=' ONE thing to look out for though cause its not an easy fix. Check the neck set angle, I've run across a few that are not properly set, and folks bring it to me wondering why their new guitar does not play right. If its second hand, you always have to question the sellers motives.

But $300 is a fair price. I paid that for my SG faded used, it had a crack by the tuners, so I go tit cheap, all my axes are players so what do I care right?

But good luck getting the MM![/quote']

The only quirk to it was that the foam rubber part of a wall hanger rubbed off some of the nitro finish. Thats it. its got <10 minutes play time on it.

The action, from what i saw, is soo low its practically laying on the fretboard yet has NO buzz.

Thanks for the tip!

I've got the single pickup model, (altho the stock pup has been replaced with a Hot Rails + a Bigsby whammy) and man, I love it. It's got it's own little vibe about it. Not what I'd call a versatile guitar, but that's why I have the Epi 335. Great thing about the MM is that you can actually use the tone control and it changes the tone....wow, novel idea, eh? Anyway, congrats on the LPMM and welcome to the fam!

Guest icantbuyafender

Finish, feel, and fretwork are AMAZING

Just got her in today, vintage sunburst...

This may be the last you guys hear from me for a few days!

pics soon to come.

This thing is immaculate for being a 2007. Hell, its put together better than some of the perfectly made epis i own.

Kudos gibby, kudos.

Archived