Gibson Brands Forums

Second run of Lifeson ES-355?

turkeyT

My wife can play but is very shy about playing in front of me. As soon as I brought the 355 home, it was no time at all before she was asking me to show her how to play "Back in Black". It was only the 2nd or 3rd time she'd touched a guitar in my presence in the 11 years I've known her.

My wife can play but is very shy about playing in front of me. As soon as I brought the 355 home' date=' it was no time at all before she was asking me to show her how to play "Back in Black". It was only the 2nd or 3rd time she'd touched a guitar in my presence in the 11 years I've known her.[/quote']

Lucky man.........if my wife asked me to teach her Back In Black I'd renew our wedding vows......!!!!

Thanks for the suggestion turkeyT, we'll gave that a try. After listening to them for almost 30 years together, believe me, she's very familar with them!!!!!

Regards,

AL 028

AL 028

1972 Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty re-issue

1976 (maybe '74?) Gibson Les Paul Deluxe

(I've had both of them for over 30 years now)

2001 Fender Stratocaster

Washburn D10S-N

Marshall MG50DFX (used to have a 100 watt Marshall SLP stack, with the 1960AX cabinets back in the '70s. Funny how your priorities change however as you get older).

[quote name=I'm loving mine more & more every day - anyone else feeling the same way?

P.S. - I like OneMeanMalibu's suggestion for an Alex Lifeson Howard Roberts Model' date=' and I would really like to see an Alex Lifeson Les Paul Standard Flame Top with the Floyd Rose, or maybe a replica of his ES-335.....

Or my personal fave - the double-volute double VOS doubleneck. It would have 2 volutes per neck, twice the aging of Lifeson's EDS-1275 and 2 signatures on the case.[/quote] Hell yes!! The guitar rocks. I didn't have any luthier work done on mine and don't intend to, AL-124 plays fine with no mods needed other than I put .009's on it.

I play with a Rush tribute band (not gigging at the moment, we're all too busy, just fun and recording for kicks, maybe gigs down the road if we have the time) and we record all our sessions on 24-track digital. This past week I went back and re-did some guitar tracks on a few tunes with AL-124 to see how she sounds recorded and I'm just blown away at how good this guitar sounds. The heart of my rig is an H&K Switchblade that I run through Palmer speaker simulators direct to the board, and I just get goosebumps at the tones I'm getting from this guitar. Very "Permanent Waves/Hemispheres" kind of vibe, which was my favorite era for Rush. Aside from Rush sounds, though, there are some incredible blues and jazz tones you can get here, and extremely versatile axe that I will use for tons of recording projects other than Rush covers.

As for another Alex Lifeson model, since the LP Axcess is coming out with an ice-tea flame top finish, that pretty much covers exactly his main guitar that he's using now so I don't see the need for a signature model. I'd personally rather see a Les Paul standard with the piezo bridge and dual outputs to separate the piezo/magnetic pickups, like the ones Alex had modded for this tour. That would be something unique to Alex, unlike the Slash model that combines the piezos/mags into one output jack. The Howard Roberts, BTW, also has this mod so to do an accurate signature model for that one in it's current configuration, it would also need the piezo, unless you wanted it to be like it was originally (but why, the piezo sounds awesome on that guitar).

• 1 year later...

I never pulled the trigger on an AL355, but I did just score a 1980 Howard Roberts Fusion this week.

So I thought I'd say "hi" to all the other Lifeson Junkies out there like myself. [biggrin]

Oh, I also built an exact replica of the Hentor from a 1977 Stratocaster and play it through an original Marshall 4140 (of course). [cool]

1980gibson02.jpg

Archived