Gibson Brands Forums

Second run of Lifeson ES-355?

turkeyT

Sounds ominous. I would hope that 'a second line' refers to a different Lifeson model - maybe an LP - rather than any attempt to extend the production run of this one beyond 300. With all the other issues surrounding this guitar, that would be one kick in the teeth too many!

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Lifestyle/ArtistsAndEvents/Stories/new%2Dgibson%2Dcustom%2Dinspired%2Dby/

I wouldn't have an issue here if Gibson made an Epiphone model of the ES-355 or a Custom Howard Roberts perhaps, just like the one Alex is using currently on tour when playing 'The Way the Wind Blows'. I remember first seeing the Howard Roberts on the 'Exit...Stage Left' video back in 1981 where he plays it during 'Closer to the Heart' and 'Tom Sawyer' and just loved it! I would however be upset if Gibson were to continue the "Custom" production of Alex's ES-355 beyond 300 as stated by VRob8. I feel however that Gibson will not extend the run beyond 300 since Custom Admin did confirm this back on March 26 at the main Alex Lifeson forum which you can read if you click on the link below.

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1631

I know this will come across as being slighly sarcastic but wouldn't it be funny if the Gibson Custom Shop made a limited run of Alex's ES-355 with the correct volute, correct tremolo arm and Alex's signature properly silk screened on the guitar case? =P~ It would be called..."The Alex Lifeson ES-355 - The Way It Should Be". But then again, maybe the volute and trem arm are supposed be that way as per Alex's approval or even request. Heck, he's using the same guitar on tour as the one I now own and the photo I took clearly shows that. I know its a sore spot for some and I know it may not be right but until we actually know the "philosophy" behind the design, who knows? I'm wondering now if Custom Admin is actually Alex Lifeson in disguise.....hmmmmm.=P~

As Custom Admin wrote in the Volute forum..."all the contact info you could ever want is here"....., I think we should express any concerns or questions to the Gibson Custom Shop directly, using the link below, if we feel its warranted. With strenghth in numbers, I'm sure someone's bound to listen.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/support/

PS

RUSH will perform live on Comedy Central's The Colbert Report Wednesday, July 16th!! The show airs at 11:30pm et/pt. Please check your local listings for air times. This rare TV appearance is one you don't want to miss!

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2008/07/15/1667858-rush-no-not-him-to-guest-on-colbert

1meanmalibu,

I am sorry to correct you, but the new Alex Lifeson run that you speak of will be called the Alex Lifeson ES 355 Signature Model VOS. The one currently in production will now be called the Alex Lifeson Con-Voluted Characateur Model.

1meanmalibu' date='

I am sorry to correct you, but the new Alex Lifeson run that you speak of will be called the Alex Lifeson ES 355 Signature Model VOS. The one currently in production will now be called the Alex Lifeson Con-Voluted Characateur Model.[/quote']

Hold on Wondo.........

I thought you'd named it the ....Alex Lifeson "Permanent Wave" Model....?

.....or you could trick them into "Con-Voluted Characteur Model" on the Gibson website but deliver the "Permanent Wave" when everyones paid up the cash........????

So which would Alex have as his Prototype guitar, which of his dozens of mis-convoluted 70's ES-355's (in white) would this be based on then....?

;-)

Doh, I totally forgot about the Hentor from the Grace Under Pressure days. Good one!

I guess the joke at the time was that the Hentor was named after the album producer, Peter Henderson, who's nickname was Hentor the Barbarian, given by the members of Rush of course. I believe Alex put Hentor in Letraset on the headstock of a Fender Sportcaster and once everyone saw a picture of it, they asked..."Where do we get one?"....Too funny Crappy! Nice one!

(The excerpt below is taken from the 'Grace Under Pressure' tourbook)

Alex Lifeson

So another tour, huh? Well let's see. I've got these great new guitars. You may have heard of them; they're Hentors. They're named after Devidip Hentor who was a very interesting character. He was born some years ago and grew to amazing lengths. Instead of body hair he grew a kind of green woolly substance all over his upper torso which resembled a sweater. He was a brilliant man who could sit in a chair all day and think of a million great things to do without actually doing them.

He was an inspiration until his unfortunate accident whilst jogging in three feet of snow wearing cheap snowboots and light summer cottons. Two models were built and I'm lucky enough to have them both. One is a "Sportscaster" and the other is I'm not going to tell you. (Hey, check Geddy's page and see if he mentions his Hentor Barbarian bass!)

Anyway, these guitars look a lot like the guitars I had on the last 47 tours. So much so that if someone was really stupid they'd think they were different guitars. I also got a new Jimmy Johnson and I haven't seen one of those in at least eight years.

Otherwise everything's the same. So, here we go...I use amps! And magic guitars that have no long black wires; and talk about strings! I have at least six on all my guitars. I also use expensive boxes with knobs and lights on them and instructions in more than five languages except English. I also have these piano-like things but I'm not sure on how to switch them on. You have to use a special Jack for that. Finally, all the equipment I use is made in factories.

graceunderpressure-7a.jpg

I hate using copy and paste but I cannot reply from another " topic "

Custom Admin Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 9:59:24 AM

yes, the Alex Lifeson is part of the "Inspired By" series of guitars. all "Inspired By" guitars have a production limit of 300. no scams here.

Also, VOS stands for "vintage original spec", not "vintage old stock". The VOS program started in '06, and basically focuses on a finish process we use to make many of our Historic guitars (and the AL is not one of these) look like they are lightly aged. it has nothing to do with using old stock parts...

IT is really " the focus " to lightly age finish ?

Crappy Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 11:17:04 AM

VOS or Vintage Original Spec

To me this means it should be very very close to the real one in size and shape and finish.

But this one is not. Lets start with a few items

1) Trem Arm too long

2) Horn or Ears Size is off

3) Neck size is off, if it was a true VOS the nut size would be 1 9/16" and not 1 11/16"

Still waiting for mine, So I can't see what else there is.

But lets call it what it really is, a white ES-355 that looks like Alex Lifesons ES-355

Nothing more nothing less.

Is it just me or is there really a Red Tide here ?

My bad , wrong post to quote : (

This is VOS anyhow so why would you care about an old finish ??

Crappy Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 1:15:12 PM

Custom Admin wrote:

i appreciate that this is your interperetation of VOS, but as i said above, VOS refers mainly to the finish process, and applies mostly to our Historic line of instruments. for more info on VOS, please click here:

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/VOS/index.html

From that page.

• New, proprietary finishing process yields the gently

aged patina of a vintage classic

• Revolutionary new handcrafting process produces

the most comfortable, best playing guitars made

today—you can feel the difference

• Solid mahogany back—not book-matched or

weight-relieved

• Historically accurate long neck tenon for superior

strength and sustain

• Period correct neck profiles, hardware,

and electronics

• 100% nitro-cellulose lacquer

As I said VOS would be close to the real one in size and shape and finish.

We are both right. But as you just posted, this is not a VOS guitar

So in other words it's just a run of white ES-355's made to look like Ales Lifesons ES-355

I should have posted the first part of that page, well here it is.

But remember the AL-355 is not a VOS guitar as was posted by the Admin

VOS is more then just the finishing process. Unless thats a typo too#-o

THE GREATEST VINTAGE GUITARS EVER

MADE...TODAY

The Gibson Custom Shop proudly introduces the Vintage Original Spec™ series of historic solid body guitars. From the 1957 Les Paul Junior to the 1960 Les Paul Standard, the Custom Shop debuts 17 reissue models representing the next step in our journey toward recreating the finest

guitars ever made.

• New, proprietary finishing process yields the gently

aged patina of a vintage classic

• Revolutionary new handcrafting process produces

the most comfortable, best playing guitars made

today—you can feel the difference

• Solid mahogany back—not book-matched or

weight-relieved

• Historically accurate long neck tenon for superior

strength and sustain

• Period correct neck profiles, hardware,

and electronics• 100% nitro-cellulose lacquer

Crappy,

please take note that the info you posted pretty specifically refers to our Historic line of guitars, which is where the focus of the VOS program was and remains. As i have said elsewhere, many of the concerns and questions you guys have about the AL are legit, but the continual harping back to the "is it or isn't it VOS?" is a non-issue...the guitar is not VOS, it was never intended to be VOS. There was an error on the website, we corrected it.

Crappy' date='

please take note that the info you posted pretty specifically refers to our Historic line of guitars, which is where the focus of the VOS program was and remains. As i have said elsewhere, many of the concerns and questions you guys have about the AL are legit, but the continual harping back to the "is it or isn't it VOS?" is a non-issue...the guitar is not VOS, it was never intended to be VOS. There was an error on the website, we corrected it. [/quote']

I'm not harping about the VOS stuff, Just reposting the full info for all to read so it's not quoted the wrong way. As my first post of it did not have the part of that info that refers to the hstoric line of guitars.

And I did write that the AL-355 is not a VOS guitar to remind everyone that it's not.

Sorry if that sounds like harping.

As long as we are re-posting, please click the link to page 1 of the other mega-thread on this topic, and note that i specify (twice!!) in the first few responses that guitar is to be glossy:

so, nobody is getting scammed, no stories have changed, there was simply an error on the website which we corrected.

I'm sorry that this has created some confusion, but i have been clear about it from the get go.

It would have made no sense to make this guitar VOS. It was refinished in the 90s by Freddy Gabrsek. I am pretty sure it was done up as new, in other words glossy finish. That is why when you look at pictures before he had it refinished it looks like a cream color and now it looks white again. However, the hardware was the original so the pickup covers, vibrola, and tuning machines would all have had the play wear. Alex lost the original arm and Freddy found one and put it on there. So, to look like Alex's it would have a glossy finish but aged hardware.

As long as we are re-posting' date=' please click the link to page 1 of the other mega-thread on this topic, and note that i specify (twice!!) in the first few responses that guitar is to be glossy:

so, nobody is getting scammed, no stories have changed, there was simply an error on the website which we corrected.

I'm sorry that this has created some confusion, but i have been clear about it from the get go.

[/quote']

Are you saying that in order to know what you are ordering you must go through the forums .

I did not even know there were forums until I ordered my guitar . Do you think it is my responsiblity

to look up Gibsons errors . I would think you would have some sort of quality control . At least in the past

there has been some quality control . Yet again that was in the past .

Not that Admin needs me to defend them, but correct me if I'm wrong, none of the "Inspired By" series are, or were intended to be VOS? VOS was created for a specific line of Guitars, unrelated to artist models. I can however, sypathize with those who purchased the Guitar thinking that that was the case.

None of the 'Inspired By' models are described as 'VOS', but the majority are aged or relic'd in some way, including the JW Firebird, Kiefer Sutherland 336, Steve Jones LP, Slash #1 LP, Mick Jones LP, Lee Ritenour 335, Joe Bonamassa LP Goldtop, John Sykes LP & Lennon LP. It would have been perfectly natural then to assume that the Lifeson 355 would also be aged in some way (if only the hardware).

Jeeze, if all of you guys want a "VOS" finish, just take some steel wool to the finish and hardware, & let your guitar bake in the sun for a few days. In 20 years all of them will be VOS anyway. I'm loving mine more & more every day - anyone else feeling the same way?

P.S. - I like OneMeanMalibu's suggestion for an Alex Lifeson Howard Roberts Model, and I would really like to see an Alex Lifeson Les Paul Standard Flame Top with the Floyd Rose, or maybe a replica of his ES-335.....

Or my personal fave - the double-volute double VOS doubleneck. It would have 2 volutes per neck, twice the aging of Lifeson's EDS-1275 and 2 signatures on the case.

I'm loving mine more & more every day - anyone else feeling the same way?

I do love the AL. It is a great guitar. Contrary to what some have said here on the forum for us to basically shut up and play the guitar already, I have been playing mine several hours everyday since I got it (more so when I got it back from my luthier). That being said, I find the Lifeson to be a fantastic guitar, But, the volute is glaring evidence that the CS just really screwed up. I still have to say that all the other imperfections I could care less about (VOS, tailpiece, horns, case signature)

Too funny Superdick2112!!!!!!!!!! (I like exclamation points too). I love mine and am actually glad that it's not a VOS. Like Wondo too, since I took it to my local Luthier, it's playing better than ever. The Volute was not an issue at all for him; this coming from a guy who played Gibson's all his life and has been working on them (as well as other manufacturers) for years. I just can't get over the tone, running through my Marshall. It's "A Farewell to Kings" through "Permanent Waves" even though for the most part, Alex used Hiwatt's during that period, particularly on the latter two.

As for another Signature model, personally, I'd like to see an Alex Lifeson 335.

VRob8,

I'm not certain that the other "Inspired By" series Guitars are aged? Maybe Admin can enlighten us.

Al 028

Too funny Superdick2112!!!!!!!!!! (I like exclamation points too). I love mine and am actually glad that it's not a VOS. Like Wondo too' date=' since I took it to my local Luthier, it's playing better than ever. The Volute was not an issue at all for him; this coming from a guy who played Gibson's all his life and has been working on them (as well as other manufacturers) for years. I just can't get over the tone, running through my Marshall. It's "A Farewell to Kings" through "Permanent Waves" even though for the most part, Alex used Hiwatt's during that period, particularly on the latter two.

As for another Signature model, personally, I'd like to see an Alex Lifeson 335.

[/quote']

Completely agree.............

Luckily Wildwood Guitars chose a players guitar for me and luckily the finish is top notch also ....bar the sh!tty binding the whole way round, but we'll not complain today...!!!!! (Exclamations yet again.....!!!!!!)

Its the first guitar my wife jaw literally drops each time she walks into the room and catches me playing and says why didn't you buy one of these years ago instead of all those ugly ones.......

I managed 5 whole hours today on the bounce, whooooo my fingers, kids at grandparents, wife out with freind, daddy in the garage for the day and through a Marshall also, wonderful.....I 've been mucking around with the wah all day, first time with a vengance for this guitar. Big AL > Buddah Wah > Marshall Plexi.......thats were its at folks....!!!!

Oh and another little note........

Running through some classics such as In the Mood, Freewill & Limelight which I've never got the hang of fluently, without really watchin' what I'm doing when playing them at Jam Nights around the local pubs, I found myself this afternoon focusing on our little "Permanent Wave" (Volute for those who haven't read earlier threads....) up there near the headstock whilst thrashing these tunes out repeatedly and my playing of this tunes in one afternoon as tightened so much......may be not a bad feature after all, I literally found my eyes straying towards it whilst playing.......

Sounds like you've got quite a nice set-up there!!!!!!! Pretty good tunes to play too, love all three of those. I miss my Marshall that I had 30 years ago, 100 watt Super Lead stack, with the basket weave grill cloth like Alex had back in the late 60's early 70's. Now I just have a little Marshall 50 watt combo, but it's all I need really, along with my Vox Clyde wah and Morely volume pedal.

Just got done playing a little while ago myself. Got my Niece, who just started playing Guitar a couple of years ago, into RUSH and I'm teaching her what I know. She's catching on quick and loving every minute of it/them!!!!!!! We went through "Caress of Steel" (one of my favorite, if not my favorite album), "Hemispheres" and "Permanent Waves", also did "In The Mood", the live version from "All The Worlds A Stage", along with "Fly By Night" and "Passage to Bangkok". For me, the "Permanent Wave" hasn't gotten in my way at all.

Like your wife, my wife is the same, she loves this one and out of my two Les Pauls and Strat, this might be her favorite as well. I gotta say, there's been nothing like walking into the room and seeing it in the stand. It's simply gorgeous!!!!!!!

Enduroexpert & AL 028 - funny you should mention the wives complimenting your guitars, as my wife also gives me compliments whenever I'm playing mine - not only about how beautiful it is, but also how nice it sounds. I think most gals have a keener sense of style than we guys do, and my AL always gets several compliments from the ladies whenever I break it out, and guys slobber over it like it IS a lady! My '83 Korina Gibson Moderne, however, gets reactions ranging from looks of bewilderment to giggles & snickers, but I still love old "Gumby"...

No doubt Superdick2112, that's why we can't buy them clothing. LOL!!!!!!!!!!! As for your Korina Gibson Moderne, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". If it looks good to you, sounds good and plays good, that's all that matters. As long as it makes you happy.

Cheers,

AL 028

Archived