Gibson Brands Forums

Ultra II to a Standard Plus top Swap?

DizzyFingers

I have always loved the looks of the trans blue Standard Plus Top...[biggrin] However I already have a ebony Ultra II. I love the sound of the Ultra II but have been toying with the idea of swapping internals from one guitar to another...

I have a spare nanomag so I wouldn't have to hack that out of the Ultra II,s neck...Other than another input jack needed, I think it is a very doable prospect...any insights?

Besides I would more than likely be one of a very few dudes with a Standard Plus Trans Blue Nanomag equipped guitar...:-k

Dizzy

I guess it depends on how much skill it would take to mount the extra gear.

If you have the skills, and the tools, it would make an interesting project.

Remember, the Ultra 2 has the circuit board. This circuit board is also a

pre-amp and is used to activate the Namomag once plugged in.

I guess it depends on how much skill it would take to mount the extra gear.

If you have the skills' date=' and the tools, it would make an interesting project.

Remember, the Ultra 2 has the circuit board. This circuit board is also a

pre-amp and is used to activate the Namomag once plugged in.[/quote']

Yes Sir I've had the Ultra II for quite some time...I would guess the board from the Ultra would drop right into the standard...? I know the pots from the standard will go into the Ultra no problem...The cover on the back of the Ultra is the same dimensions as the standard?

It would be a cool swap...! :-k

Dont forget the carving............

epiphone_ultra_II_interior.jpg

[biggrin]

Peter

Yes the Ultra is hollowed...However the only thing I can think of at this time is the small wire from the Nanomag into the preamp on a Standard...The wire should be able to follow the humbuckers wiring route thru the body on a Standard...?

My biggest concern is the pots on the board of the Ultra lining up with the pot holes in the Standard...I'm guessing there could be quite a variance from one guitar to another...?

Dizzy

Are you confident in doing the soldering right on the board?

Or would you clip the wires and then just join them?

I've never thought much about how the Nano is attached to the base of the neck,

and the body. Is there a rout that you would have to do on the Standard body?

If you are not going to hollow out the body on the Plus, I don't see the point of any of the work. You will not get the results you are looking for without the acoustics.

But I understand your desire for a different finish for the Ultra II, it's a guitar I really want, but am not real excited about either of the two finishes it is available in. Blue would be awesome! Epi, are you listening?

Sheila

I agree Sheila. The Ultra 2 is a great guitar, but it would be

nice to have some more choices in color, and finish.

As to the acoustics from the hollowed out body, I wonder

how it might change the sound by not having them.

I would definitely cheat and clip the wires instead of soldering to the board directly...Annnnd yes it would be much easier if I coud just buy the guitar I want...

This is what makes Epi's a gas....who would do this or think of doing it to a 4,000 dollar Gibson? [biggrin]

The solid body standard might just prove to be a winner!

I've never thought much about how the Nano is attached to the base of the neck,

and the body. Is there a rout that you would have to do on the Standard body?

You have to do a little dremel and chisel work to get it to fit ...Right after the last fret on the Standard...Glue it in and route the wire thru the neck pup cavity....I'd have to drill a channel for the wire so that it looks factory, from the neck to the pup cavity....

Dizzy

The chambering shouldn't have THAT much effect on the "acoustic" sound that comes out. That's all part of the wizardry that is the "Nanomag." Go for it.

Seriously? Then what is the point of having the chambering (other than weight relief) in thte Ultra II? I realize that chambering solid wood does not make an electric guitar an acoustic guitar, but there has to be enough of a difference for Epi to do it.

I know I read someone's post that they did a side by side comparison of the acoustics of an EPI LP and an Ultra II, and they said said there was a discernable difference .

Sheila

Archived