Gibson Brands Forums

Any experience with the new Epi LP 60s Tribute?

StewartB

I am thinking of purchasing one of the new Epi LP 60s Tributes. My local store in Oz has one at present. I know the specs - long neck tenon, Gibson pups, better hardware, coil taps, nice case, etc.

I don't have a "normal" Epi LP but was thinking of buying one brand new before the 60s Tribute came on the market.

Looking for comments comparing the "normal" and 60s Tribute. I am a decent guitar "modder" so could always upgrade an Epi LP Standard, but in Oz the cost of buying Gibson Burstbuckers and other hardware may not justify the exercise compared to simply buying the 60s Tribute.

Stewart

Well, one 2010 just showed up at the house today. It was a belated valentines gift from the mrs.

This one is in trans black with the asymetrical neck. It came in a plush black case, not brown/pink like on the website. The neck feels really comfortable and I can feel the D to C taper in it. Nicer than my '01 MIK plus top epi, and the 56 GT but not as full as the neck on the slash.

Yeah it has an A string buzz outta the box no big deal, i'll need to set it up anyway. Strap locks, locking tuners, push pull pots, US wiring, caps switchcraft switich and gibby 57 classic pups.

I'm just a hobby player but.. Oh yeah... I plugged her into a line 6 spyder II, dialed in some overdrive, set the amp to crunch and blasted out some AC/DC..... she has some backbone!!!! Definetly can tell these are not stock epi pups. Whoa buddy!!! I'm gonna have some fun with this one :-

The pup splitter works as advertised and you can get the single coil tone out of her. I have to keep the volume low right now and I can't find my blasted headphones. Arrrrghhhhhh!

This is very nice epi. She seems to be put together very nicely, no cosmetic issues, the trans black is pretty neat. I prefer the bell type knobs so I'll be changing these out.

The mrs says she ordered thru MF and used the prez day discount code. I think she got 15 or 20% off. No paperwork was in the box other than the epi papers in the case. The box was all beat to hell and I had my doubts on what I was going to find in the case. and in how many pieces

I'll post some daylight pics so you can really se the trans black. Website pics don't do her justice. This one is a keeper. ...................markerdown

I'll post some daylight pics so you can really se the trans black. Website pics don't do her justice. This one is a keeper. ...................markerdown

Mate, thanks for the info - much appreciated. Think I'm off to my music store tonight!! Looking forward to pics,

Stewart

Well, StewartB, here she is. Yeah I know, I haven't taken the paper off the pots yet. I took a bunch of pics but most didn't come out good due to the glare.

Black is a bit tricky to photograph. Finger prints/smuges show up easily on this color. She rocks out really nice, but IMHO, the Seth Lovers in my ROK epi LP sound a bit better for classic rock and the southern stuff. I really like this neck!

I don't care much for the speed knobs and all the Epi site pics and on-line stores show the gold bell type, which I think look like crap on a black axe with nickel hardware.

So the 2010 and 1960 tribute are not quite the same axe from what I could tell from all the info. The guitar ordered according to the mrs, and I checked the order with MF, was the 1960 tribute, says it right on the truss cover. This one is a 2010 tribute, no big deal.

I suck worse at photography than I do playin' guitar. #-o ..............................markerdown

2010TributeBody.jpg

Epi2010TributeLP.jpg

Headstocjk.jpg

Nice Guitar!

Once I was at 'thomann' I checked the 1960 Tribute......wow

it feels good to me and it's more premium compared to other Lesters from Epi.

AFAIK the '60' Tribute has the'60s' neck' date=' while the '09' Tribute has the asymmetrical neck

Peter[/quote']

So if I had ordered the 60s slim tapered neck, the truss rod cover would have said '60s tribute and the bell knobs??........................markerdown

Guest icantbuyafender
So if I had ordered the 60s slim tapered neck' date=' the truss rod cover would have said '60s tribute and the bell knobs??........................markerdown[/quote']

yeppp.

The assymetrical is the 2010 tribute with speed knobs. (the modern touch)

The slim 60's is the 1960 tribute with bell knobs. (vintage look)

knobs and truss rod cover and case are the only differences.

If the neck is that good, Id live with the diff truss rod cover and knobs.

I really want to compare one to the gibby LP standard 2010 assymetrical neck.

Well' date=' StewartB, here she is. Yeah I know, I haven't taken the paper off the pots yet. I took a bunch of pics but most didn't come out good due to the glare.

Black is a bit tricky to photograph. Finger prints/smuges show up easily on this color. She rocks out really nice, but IMHO, the Seth Lovers in my ROK epi LP sound a bit better for classic rock and the southern stuff. I really like this neck!

I don't care much for the speed knobs and all the Epi site pics and on-line stores show the gold bell type, which I think look like crap on a black axe with nickel hardware.

So the 2010 and 1960 tribute are the same axe from what I could tell from all the info. The guitar ordered according to the mrs, and I checked the order with MF, was the 1960 tribute, says it right on the truss cover. This one says 2010 tribute, no big deal.

I suck worse at photography than I do playin' guitar. #-o ..............................markerdown

[img']http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/markerdown/2010TributeBody.jpg[/img]

Epi2010TributeLP.jpg

Headstocjk.jpg

Thanks for the photos - great looking bit of gear. The one at my store is the Cherry Burst with the gold knobs, and a slim D (??) profile neck. Gotta make a decision this weekend!

Yeah, I already have a cherry burst plus top, and I'm not a big fan of the slim neck so I went with the black asymmetrical. Play them both if you can to see which one is most comfortable to you.

I'm quite fond of the honey burst or the iced tea burst and would have jumped on another one if they were offered.........................................markerdown

Yeah' date=' I already have a cherry burst plus top, and I'm not a big fan of the slim neck so I went with the black asymmetrical. Play them both if you can to see which one is most comfortable to you.

I'm quite fond of the honey burst or the iced tea burst and would have jumped on another one if they were offered.........................................markerdown [/quote']

Will do. I'll post after the weekend when I will be able to give them a good workout. Thanks again for the inside info.

Stewart

Guest icantbuyafender
Well' date=' StewartB, here she is. Yeah I know, I haven't taken the paper off the pots yet. I took a bunch of pics but most didn't come out good due to the glare.

So the 2010 and 1960 tribute are the same axe from what I could tell from all the info. The guitar ordered according to the mrs, and I checked the order with MF, was the 1960 tribute, says it right on the truss cover. This one says 2010 tribute, no big deal.

[img']http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/markerdown/2010TributeBody.jpg[/img]

Epi2010TributeLP.jpg

Headstocjk.jpg

what is up with the tone knobs!?

Meh, nuthin wrong, just cosmetics and personal preference. I still had the instructional backing paper on in the pic. I don't care much for the speed knobs nor amber bells on a black guitar.

I'm gonna wring her out this weekend in the garage with my geezer buds.

One more thing, whatever glue or dye they used on the case interior is pretty potent. I've had the case in the garage airing out for the past day.

It all falls back to the old verse for those who know:

"This is my epi les paul, there are many like it, but this one is mine"...ooorahh...................markerdown

Archived