Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge Pup Volume Knob/Pot on my Sheraton II is stuck

Mme Erzulie

Hi, all.

This is my first post here. I searched the forum and read about 20 pages of Sheraton-related stuff, which was very enlightening, but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Anyway, my Sheraton II is a Korean 88' Epiphone by Gibson (I understand that's kind of a big deal around here?) in Tobacco-burst.

It's pretty much a spotless guitar, visually. Finish and bindings are great. I bought it used on Ebay for £400 (I see some here have gotten better deals). It's been taken very good care of (not played that much, I suspect), and sounds pretty sweet. I have been thinking about replacing the electrics and the pick-ups, but as I'm primarily a bass player and currently finishing my last year in Uni, those operations will have to wait for at least a little while. I'll try to put some pictures up soon.

Anyway, I was playing around with it a the day before yesterday, and was working on some volume swells for a song I'm producing. It was sounding fat, but within the space of 10 minutes, the bridge volume pot went from absolutely fine to slightly heavier on the torque to just plain stuck. As I kept doing the swells, it would get progressively harder to turn the bridge pup knob. I was doing the swells in both single-pup positions (i.e. both in bridge-only and neck-only), and the neck pot never started acting up, and is still working fine.

I'm gonna take it to a guy in Uni (I'm on a music course) to have him look at it tomorrow, but I thought I'd ask around here if anyone has ever experienced anything like this before, what the cause and cure might be, and if I should take this as a sign from above that it's time to replace the pots etc.?

Cheers

Mme

Hi' date=' all.

This is my first post here. I searched the forum and read about 20 pages of Sheraton-related stuff, which was very enlightening, but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Anyway, my Sheraton II is a Korean 88' Epiphone by Gibson (I understand that's kind of a big deal around here?) in Tobacco-burst.

It's pretty much a spotless guitar, visually. Finish and bindings are great. I bought it used on Ebay for £400 (I see some here have gotten better deals). It's been taken very good care of (not played that much, I suspect), and sounds pretty sweet. I have been thinking about replacing the electrics and the pick-ups, but as I'm primarily a bass player and currently finishing my last year in Uni, those operations will have to wait for at least a little while. I'll try to put some pictures up soon.

Anyway, I was playing around with it a the day before yesterday, and was working on some volume swells for a song I'm producing. It was sounding fat, but within the space of 10 minutes, the bridge volume pot went from absolutely fine to slightly heavier on the torque to just plain stuck. As I kept doing the swells, it would get progressively harder to turn the bridge pup knob. I was doing the swells in both single-pup positions (i.e. both in bridge-only and neck-only), and the neck pot never started acting up, and is still working fine.

I'm gonna take it to a guy in Uni (I'm on a music course) to have him look at it tomorrow, but I thought I'd ask around here if anyone has ever experienced anything like this before, what the cause and cure might be, and if I should take this as a sign from above that it's time to replace the pots etc.?

Cheers

Mme[/quote']

Hi Mme welcome to the forum having an E-by-G is no big deal at all other than they are early Korean models with some slightly different features than later models. This could actually be useful for you with your problem. Some but not all E-by-G's have a lot easier access to the electrics via the bridge pickup route.

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13095

Check your serial against Toredown's and Slawek's that should give you a clue what is in your bridge route. This is an extract from the thread above

This is really interesting your guitar is February 1988 and they were still using the bridge cavity design then but it had changed by August 1988 as slawek's is different.

So when did they change and why? March, April, May, June, July 1988 It will be interesting to see as more E-by-G's join this group when the design change occurred.

It is good news for you, it will make putting a new assembly in, a lot easier.

slawek will have to go the f hole way, like I will (and the majority of Sherri owners will) with my 89 Sherri, it is tricky but manageable

Also if you want to post photos of your E-by-G and share some info about your guitar we can give you # 6 E-by-G owner on the forum. Also I am originally from Liverpool but now in Sweden....[lol]

Hope you sort out your problem a decent tech should sort that no problem...

the bridge volume pot went from absolutely fine to slightly heavier on the torque to just plain stuck. As I kept doing the swells' date=' it would get progressively harder to turn the bridge pup knob. I was doing the swells in both single-pup positions (i.e. both in bridge-only and neck-only), and the neck pot never started acting up, and is still working fine.

...if anyone has ever experienced anything like this before, what the cause and cure might be, and if I should take this as a sign from above that it's time to replace the pots etc.?

Mme[/quote']

Sounds like the shaft is stuck inside the bushing. You could try a bit of lubrication (spray

some kind of contact cleaner, or even a little bit of penetrating oil on top of the shaft

(near where it goes into the aluminum bushing)with the knob pulled off. If it's something inside the pot that's binding, then time to replace all the pots.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again. Thanks for your replies.

I just got the guitar back from Ye Olde Music Shoppe, with a new set of Gibson PAF's and pots. Having never soldered or worked with any sort of electrics in my life, I was too scared to have my Sheraton be my first guinea pig. I paid £180 for the new hardware + installation, does that sound about right to you guys? The guitar sounds a lot clearer, and has a lot more growl and bite than before. Only problem is the new pot screws are slightly wider than the old, so my old knobs won't fit, but I just bought a new set of amber ones on Ebay, hopefully they'll fit. I'll put up some pictures when I get them.

Joe Samick: I'm originally from Norway, but am now in Liverpool. Great city, great football team (and one not so great)! Small world!

Cheers

Yes, it costs a bunch to work on a hollow or semi hollowbody. If they did a good job with good components you did fine.[confused]

Oh yea, welcome to the Club!!

(Joe: I guess we need to make a E by G Club smiley thing to bling up the place huh???lol)

Hi again. Thanks for your replies.

I just got the guitar back from Ye Olde Music Shoppe' date=' with a new set of Gibson PAF's and pots. Having never soldered or worked with any sort of electrics in my life, I was too scared to have my Sheraton be my first guinea pig. I paid £180 for the new hardware + installation, does that sound about right to you guys? The guitar sounds a lot clearer, and has a lot more growl and bite than before. Only problem is the new pot screws are slightly wider than the old, so my old knobs won't fit, but I just bought a new set of amber ones on Ebay, hopefully they'll fit. I'll put up some pictures when I get them.

Joe Samick: I'm originally from Norway, but am now in Liverpool. Great city, great football team (and one not so great)! Small world!

Cheers[/quote']

Hi Erzulie

Norwegian in Liverpool with a nice guitar my guess you are a LIPA student. Possibly sat in a room where I used to teach....Lipa bought the building in Hope Street I used to teach in......Yes only one football team in Liverpool, Everton FC that is the team supported by Liverpudlians John Lennon and Paul McCartney included...........Anfield is only for tourists......Everton "the peoples club" glad you got your Sherri sorted out get some photos posted it is expected on this site.....What do you mean by "new Gibson PAFS"........did you get to look at them before they were fitted.......

Heh, guilty as charged. The hope street building is reserved for dancers and costume/set designers, though. To turn the table, I'd say a furriner living in Scandinavia is likely to have met a fair-haired girl, and made a rather rash decision to up and leave the Queen's country.

And out of all the Scousers I know, the split is pretty evenly 50/50 red and blue. Adding insult to injury, your captain is Phil Neville [confused]

I meant new pups as in new to me, I'm sure they've been in a Gibson. They don't look worn or marked in any way, and they sound good, so I'm happy.

I'll get around to photos asap.

Cheers

Archived