Gibson Brands Forums

filling holes

sheraton84

We want pictures!

A cabinet maker friend of mine advised me to use a plug-cutter bit on a drill to make 12mm discs of maple, then stain them to match the top. Even if it's only close, it will visually disappear once you're a foot away from it. I don't have a plug cutter bit as yet but when I get one, I will let you know how I get on.

The problem with dowel is that the grain will be running the wrong way, which will make it difficult to stain similarly.

I had the same problem with my Dot (natural finish) when I replaced the stopbar tailpiece with a trapeze tailpiece. I used DAP Plastic Wood cellulose filler and stained it. I got it close but you can still see the holes. I had it a bit easier with a natural finish but a sunburst would be a lot harder.

We want pictures!

A cabinet maker friend of mine advised me to use a plug-cutter bit on a drill to make 12mm discs of maple' date=' then stain them to match the top. Even if it's only close, it will visually disappear once you're a foot away from it. I don't have a plug cutter bit as yet but when I get one, I will let you know how I get on.

The problem with dowel is that the grain will be running the wrong way, which will make it difficult to stain similarly.[/quote']

Yes a plug cutter is the way to go..but according to my Lee Valley catalog, a 10-12mm

TAPERED plug cutter is around $17.50 and to find a good maple thickness (1/2"), can be a bit

more coin as well.

I have found that with a dowel or a straight plug.that there can be a bit of descrepancy

in the size of the hole left by the bushings and the actual dowel or plug size...and it's

not always easy to find dowels in mm sizes either.

There are what we called in the woodworking industry..unfinished wood screw covers,

and these come in maple /oak/cherry/pine in different sizes 9/16 may be the closest

size for the hole in question. (9/16 = .562")You can stain the wood in any colour you choose.

They come in sheets so you have several to experiment with.

You can also use a nice brass screw cover, a flat cap that screws onto a special screw

that you put inside the hole. The hole for the string stop will usually have solid wood

underneath, so it's easy to install the screw. Once that is done, the screw capi

threaded on and you are done. Not invisible, but it may serve the purpose, rather

than having a hole there.

its a vintage suburst finish' date=' i dunno if i could get the exact colour match[/quote']

You probably can get it close..it depends what colour the stain is underneath at

the holes..if it's the yellowish colour as it should be at the center of a sunburst,

then a golden oak or yellow pine stain may suffice. Bear in mind that most commercially

prepared stains are of the oil base variety. Not that it makes too much difference to

the clear coat..presume you would be using a varathane clear coat..but if you are

using lacquer top cat..that stain has to be very very dry. An alcohol or a aniline

stain (water based) is the way to go.

just put a frequensator on my 08 sheraton' date=' was wonderin what i could use to fill the holes where the tailpiece goes, anyone got any ideas and im definately not puttuin the custom thing on my guitar[/quote']

can somebody tell me where I CAN get one of the "Custom Made" dbl. pluggers?

I've seen them on a cpl. of guits here, but never saw where they were purchased.

Go to Ace Hardware or whatever hardware store is in your area and get a package of wooden screwhole plugs. They are supplied crowned or flat. You've seen them in furniture of all kinds. Cheap and readily available. Get as close to the correct diameter as possible and either sand down the plug, or enlarge the hole. A little white glue will hold them in place. Stain with whatever is the closest color - golden oak, golden pine, etc. There's a product called Howard's Finish Restorer that's simply a color matching stain that wipes on. Many many colors available.

Archived