Gibson Brands Forums

Here's something odd

tflanster

While closely examining the used LP I just got, I noticed what looks like a piece of wire - a high E string maybe, laid across the tops of the bridge saddle screws, between the screwheads and the bridge body. Anybody every seen that? What's it for?

No probs at all with the guitar. This is just something I've never seen. Guitar's in tune right down to the 12th fret so what's the wire - a washer of some kind that a luthier added maybe? Weird!

I believe what you are describing is the retaining wire that holds the bridge saddles down when you take the strings off. A lot of bridges also use a design that just screws all the way through the bridge body. Using a retaining wire like this makes swapping saddles a lot quicker, but the wire can be a bit fiddly to put back in.

The only problem with a retainer is that it can come loose and cause an annoying rattle or get bent. :-k

I told my stock Epi bridge to "get bent", and replaced it with a Gotoh direct replacement, and never looked back.

I told my stock Epi bridge to "get bent"' date=' and replaced it with a Gotoh direct replacement, and never looked back.

[/quote']

likewise, bloody awfull buzz from the stock bridge on the riviera (Now swapped for a Gotoh Nashville), but never had a problem with one on the SG! Perhaps it's luck of the draw.

Welp, one of the reasons I replaced the stocker was techy told me that over time an Epiphone bridge will actually bend down toward the guitar, that and the saddles on the stocker are of white metal...real brittle stuff, and diecast, making it even more brittle. Not wanting a "bent" bridge, I just saved myself the inevitable hassle and replaced it straightup.

Interesting. A retainer wire. First time I ever noticed it. I changed out a stock Ibanez AF75 bridge for a Gotoh a year ago and for sure if I ever decide to swap out this one it will be with a Gotoh. Thanks for the info guys.

This is what the FORUM is for - a simple question, about

something that most of us just "know", but one that needed

an answer. Y'all stepped up to the plate with an answer, and with

recommendations for options. Learn from the Forums - the

"Forum is with you, Luke"... "Come over to the DARK Side, Jedi

Knight - buy a Black Beauty or BB King Lucille... (Heavy breathing...).

Archived