Gibson Brands Forums

Need some help...

DarkRonin

I have a Epi goth edition I bought from a friend and it's truly a beautiful guitar and great sounding except for the "A" string buzzes at the 1st fret wire. VERY annoying... I have tried everything I can think of except take to a professional to try to get rid of the buzz but I'm at a loss.

a little history, he bought it when we were in Japan so, it has a floyd rose on it. which I know can make things kind of complicated. I have been playing for over 22 years so, I do know alot when it comes to this kind of thing but I'm lost.

if anyone can give some help, I would be eternally grateful.

It's not enirely clear to me whether you get buzz _at_ the 1st or _on_ the 1st fret... Could be a number of things. But going out on a limb I'd say nutheight.

Check the nutheight of the string by pressing the 3rd fret, the string should clear the 1st fret. Enough to slip a thin businesscard/piece of paper underneath.

It's not enirely clear to me whether you get buzz _at_ the 1st or _on_ the 1st fret... Could be a number of things. But going out on a limb I'd say nutheight.

Check the nutheight of the string by pressing the 3rd fret' date=' the string should clear the 1st fret. Enough to slip a thin businesscard/piece of paper underneath.[/quote']

+1

Just bought a "very cheap" Samick SG, it is a fine little beater, but has a buzz on the 7th fret of the A string, which is the only problem I have with it.

Because I bought it so cheap, I am not going to spend another penny on it.

Just have to find out how shift that buzz.

I bought this guitar as a test bed for learning a little about cutting nuts and setting up and soldering etc want to test out a few things on there before trying on my other guitars.

It has a bolt neck. so maybe I should first start there and work outwards.

Floyds aren't worth the trouble of doing it yourself. Will take for damn ever to get everything just right. Take it to a pro.

I respectufully disagree. Yes, they are complicated and time consuming, but totally worth the trouble. They stay in tune like no other and the fine tuners are spiffy. I'm not even a trem person (yet). I just like how well they hold tune, etc. Of course, I'll take a Speedloader over a standard Floyd any day, just for a little conveivience.

Besides, the trem has nothing to do with this problem. Its one fret on one string. Clearly a nut/fret issue.

But I do agree with Ric. Check the nut height, or the groove height for that string...and also look to see if that fret is unseated, like stated earlier as well.

I respectufully disagree. Yes' date=' they are complicated and time consuming, but totally worth the trouble. They stay in tune like no other and the fine tuners are spiffy. I'm not even a trem person (yet). I just like how well they hold tune, etc. Of course, I'll take a Speedloader over a standard Floyd any day, just for a little conveivience.

Besides, the trem has nothing to do with this problem. Its one fret on one string. Clearly a nut/fret issue.[/quote']

Yeah your right, the trem isn't the problem. I'm not saying they're not worth having. I mean, if you need to make ghost noises they're second to none, but they are a pain to work on. I'd just rather have someone else do it for me.

thank you all for the help.

FYI, when I play the open "A" string the buzz is coming from the string hitting the 1st fret wire. when holding the fret for playing the A#, no more problem.

EDIT: decided to do it myself. put a shim under the nut(never even thought about doing that till one of you said something), backed out the pressure screws for the floyd rose about 3/4 turn and retuned till it was perfect. took about an hour and half. So, I would like to thank you all for the suggestions and the help. after it was all done, started playing like a beast again... [biggrin]

Archived