Gibson Brands Forums

Riviera questions

I am in the market for a Riviera it must be Japanese or Korean.

I remember from previous threads that the peerless Rivieras are nice and I may be interested in an Elitist if a fair price.

My questions are the guitar I am looking for must be stock and have frequensator and minis.

Did Peerless make them in this configuration I found one and it had full size humbuckers?

Which Rivieras 1980 to 2000 had minis and frequensator?

From my experience the early MIK Riviera's had humbuckers and a frequensator, the later, post 2000 had minis and a frequensator.

The 1996 MIK i used to have had a really nice slim neck, my current 2006 is much chunkier.

Most of the MIJ Rivieras I've seen have humbuckers.

If you can get an Elitist at a good price I'd jump on it.

I have a 1996 Peerless-made Riv with minis and Frequensator in deep red (not quite wine red, but darker than the usual cherry).

It is is spectacular. I actually sold it to my luthier a few years ago and bought it back from him in November. He added a bone nut and upgraded the pots, so it's even better now.

The minis are great, IMHO. They sound mid-way between a P-90 and a humbucker. Played through my Vox AC4TV, this guitar can rock with the best of them... and thru my Roland BC-30, it provides a great jazz tone.

I'm really happy I got it back - and would recommend it without reservation. Saw one on EBay recently and briefly considered grabbing it - you know, just in case.

Good luck and good hunting

I have a 1996 Peerless-made Riv with minis and Frequensator in deep red (not quite wine red' date=' but darker than the usual cherry).

It is is spectacular. I actually sold it to my luthier a few years ago and bought it back from him in November. He added a bone nut and upgraded the pots, so it's even better now.

The minis are great, IMHO. They sound mid-way between a P-90 and a humbucker. Played through my Vox AC4TV, this guitar can rock with the best of them... and thru my Roland BC-30, it provides a great jazz tone.

I'm really happy I got it back - and would recommend it without reservation. Saw one on EBay recently and briefly considered grabbing it - you know, just in case.

Good luck and good hunting [/quote']

Thanks Doug

I will keep looking out I plan to sell my 89 Samick Sheraton and get a Riviera....

Elitist is out of the question now.

I have just used some of my hobby cash on a set neck Firebird with minis.

But if I could find a Peerless Riviera with minis for $500 $£600 do you think that is possible....???

I do not know the going rate for them?

+1 on the "Used but not abused" Elitist, if/when you get the "coin!" You'll LOVE it!

I have a Korean 2006 (Red) Riviera, with Mini's and frequensator, that I "stole" off E-bay,'

for $365.00 Brand new (shipping included), from an Epi Dealer. Incredibly, no one bid against

me, and it was a "no Reserve" auction. So, they're out there! It's a great guitar, too.

Would LOVE to have an "Elitist" version, in Sunburst, as well. Good luck, in your search...

CB

Hey, Joe - There's a beautiful Riviera on EBay now> Being sold by Swarthmore Music in US, and price is very reasonable so far. Serial # seems to indicate it's from the new batch of Rivs. Check it out.

BTW, my dad's branch of the family came to US in 1910 from Vasteras up in your neck of the woods.

Hey' date=' Joe - There's a beautiful Riviera on EBay now> Being sold by Swarthmore Music in US, and price is very reasonable so far. Serial # seems to indicate it's from the new batch of Rivs. Check it out.

BTW, my dad's branch of the family came to US in 1910 from Vasteras up in your neck of the woods.[/quote']

Thanks Doug but I think the shipping might be a bit of a problem. Vasteras is close by here an hour in the car.

Kan du prata Svenska.........Min Svenska är mycket dåligt, men jag prata "Swenglish" med vår barnen.

My wife used work for the newspaper in Vasteras VLT......Maybe she kan put you in touch with the editor they love all that long lost Swedes in America stuff.

I have a wonderful film about emmigrants from Sweden to the US if you can give me an FTP I will send it over for you.

I have found a 2007 MIK Riviera from the Unsung plant but should I trade in an 89 Samick sherry for a 2007 Unsung Riviera......

I wish I new the quality of those recent Unsung Rivieras

Archived