Gibson Brands Forums

I must sincerly appologize for my angry posts.

kulddy

O:) I appologize to everyone that I sreamed at for selling Gibson uot to a foriegn enterprise. I guess I was over reacting to the news that another home company had sold to the highest bidder. so srry for my bad reaction to the sellout.

my sincerest appology to all

(please don't delete my appology like the flame)

Wayne McDowell

Nashville

O:) O:) Well the new company's CEO is from Denmark and will continue to live there and run the merged company from there.

What do I have wrong?

Wayne](*' date=') [/quote']

Hey Wayne--

Well, for starters, you have Anders Fauerskov's title wrong: he currently is the CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of TC Group, but according to Gibson's own press release, he will only be serving as COO (Chief Operating Officer) of the new company, which interestingly enough, is to be called "Gibson Guitar Corporation" if I am reading the release correctly. No mention is made of the position of CEO in merged company (at least, not in the press release), and the press release specifically says only that Mr. Fauerskov will remain in Europe--NOT that the corporate offices are moving to Europe.

I am not saying this means Gibson will not be changed in significant ways. We simply do not know, but what we know from Gibson's own press release does not agree with what you have said above. A frequent contributor on another Gibson-related discussion forum (whom I respect a great deal) saw an article in "Investor's Business Daily" that noted that TC will not have much of a voting or oversight presence in terms of Gibson's day-to-day business. In other words, this may be a fine marriage of convenience: Gibson opens avenues in America for TC, and TC opens avenues for Gibson (both in terms of sales and in terms of acquiring parts) in Europe.

I was worried about just what you were thinking when I first heard the report from NAMM. But since then, I am growing more and more convinced that Gibson will remain very much an American company when this deal is done.

I hope that puts some of your concern at ease. I agree with you very much that I want to see Gibson remain an American company making American guitars. I have nothing against Asian or Mexican-made guitars, and I know many of them are quite good, but I don't want the United States to lose yet another skilled-craft profession (and heritage) like that of the guitar-makers and designers of Gibson past, present, and future. I'm saving for my first new Gibson after years of used guitars because I want to invest--and do believe--in the history and future of Gibson.

Ignatius

I am sorry for fearing quality would be lost. I love Gibson and its family of quality.

wayne

No problem, Wayne, and by the way, I applaud you for your first post apologizing for your earlier comments. It takes a big person to be able to do that in a public forum.

And I think too that most people here also love Gibson and fear for the future. We have seen our share of up times and down times with the company, and there are times when recent years seem both the best of times and something less. For every story of an impeccably fantastic guitar coming out of Memphis or Nashville, I hear another story of a guitar with bubbled finish or bad fret work or even misaligned pickup rings. Or I hear the stories of dealers losing Certificates of Authenticity and not including the case candy or the blow-up a fear years back when the whole dealer shake-up happened, and I wonder where is Gibson headed.

We all are hoping for the best so don't feel sorry for your concern. Just hold tight. I think this forum will be one of the first places where we will hear if things start heading south (or in the case of a Danish takeover, East). O:) I also think it will be the first place you will hear about all the good things happening at Gibson as well.

Ignatius

Or is it time to gobble up as many "American Made Gibson" as possible?

Sorry, I could'nt let it die

Hey Kluddy is that your reverse?

We as a country never thought that we would not be the leader in

Cars

Steel

TV's

Education K-12

etc.

If its in Gibsons best interest to move overseas, Gibson will be overseas. Thats just how it is.

I am in the audio/video business and I can tell you nothing matters in corporate america except profit.....nothing!

I can tell you nothing matters in corporate america except profit.....nothing!

You got THAT right.....

If they (any corporation) actually DOES see fit to maintain a tradition or practice of any kind of integrity it is only because it might hurt their precious target profit goals as well. It's sickening in some instances...

My take on this is that within the TC group of companies are some excellent products, TC Electronics is one, Tannoy is yet another. The notion that Gibson and Gibson's quality will be diluted doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If in fact a private equity firm was coming in that would be another issue altogether. TC also brings a good deal of engineering to the party - specifically on the electronics side - something that Gibson might find of interest if one were to start thinking about pedals, processing and things of that nature. I doubt dilution of quality or anything like that is in anyone's mind. Profit, as Mark noted is important - but who says one can't maintain a healthy profit margin and maintain quality? Guy's wihtout profit at the companies where each of us work, as an employee we won't have enough money to buy these wonderful toys that every one of us are proud to have .. Just read the posts...

My thoughts...

Yeah it is my GOT week, serial number 021170319. It took me almost 40 years to get some more afer a divorce my wife burned a humming bird and a 74 SG Custom. I Live here in Nashville and love the sound of the 57 classic handwound pups. I figured appologizing was the only way to have my concerns heard (but alas they were deleted. the only problem I have with "THE ARROW" (rev v) is the extreme side pull on the the nut as is exerted simalarly by my dream guitar an '82 Gibson Moderne Korina. They solved that with a not so very good vertical roller guides (if the screws that attached them were industrial chrome studs and the bushings were made of oilite bushing material, They possibly wouldn't have binded or bent the screws).

The TC GROUP is an Umbrella corporation of which Gibson in now under the cover of. (Shades of "Raccoon City and the Umbrella corp. in "RESIDENT EVIL", GEEZE THAT DOESN'T SOUND GOOD".

For those who don't know merging with a GIANT UMBRELLA CORPORATION is also called being swallowed up.

Maybe an owner/workers buyout like Harly would be feasible. I know it was treied in Kalamazoo, but we have serious cash rich RECORDING ARTISTS HERE TO FORM A CO-OP or a corporation or something. I wish Gibson the "Umbrella for it's family of instruments" would have give maybe an IPO or we could have raised the money like for movies. I have been involved in getting investors involved in things like "Silver Screen Partners" where investors invest in the movie with no actual participation in the day to day working. That leaves artistic capabilities in the hands of the peopl that don't make decisions based on the bottom line.

well 'nuff said for now. Hope I didn't make anyone made in web office so they will delite this

wayne

Steevee I hope your right and I am just paranoid!!

Look at it this way fellas....

All of us now own pre-takeover Gibsons.

Having said that, Im sure if there is an overseas takeover the people

involved will understand that Gibson guitars is an institution. Its the benchmark.

Its the Alpha and Omega of Guitars....and they had better not screw it up or

change too many things.

Lets wish them well, and give them a chance.

So we will call the aforementioned PTO's (Pre-TakeOver's) and the others PDM (Post Danish Modern)? hee hee alittle humor.

THanks for time and kindness.

Wayne

P.S. Has anyone got a set of vertical string guides (ala MODERNE)? Know where I can get four, as it seems the correct fix for split tails that are actually played and tuned often. =P~

I'm still not convinced TC Group has taken over Gibson. The press release from Gibson specifically says that the combined companies will be called "Gibson Guitar Corp.", and Investors' Business Daily is reporting that Gibson actually has taken a controlling share of the TC Group. I think the facts that only the COO remains in Denmark, and that there is no mention that the CEO of Gibson has changed, are very telling. But we'll see. . . .

Ignatius

Archived