Gibson Brands Forums

Scratchy pickup selector switch

SlagJones

The pickup selector switch is sounds scratchy and pops when switching between the three postions. Any quick fixes or how hard is it to replace the switch. I have tried searching the internet but I can't seem to locate a good DIY how to on replacing the switch. The switch is on an Epi LP Special II.

I've used some of that electronics cleaner spray to good success. Be careful not to get in on the finish. Spray it down into the switch - just a little goes a long way....

So just cover the guitar and spray it down in between the ring and the little ball pivot on the toggle? No need to open up the back, correct?

If you really want to clean it well:

1) open the back and take it out,

2) put some Caig DeOxit (available at Radio Shack and most Electronics parts stores) on a strip of light cardboard (I use a strip I cut off a business card).

3) open the contacts,

4) put the cardboard between the contacts,

5) close the contacts and

6) pull the paper out.

Repeat a few times with fresh DeOxit and clean piece of business card.

DeOxit is the best cleaner I have found, and it is inexpensive. It works on phone plugs and jacks as well. DeOxit comes in a pen and a liquid with a brush. I have both. I use the Pen for phone plugs and jacks, and the liquid to soak the business card strip.

You can also put a little Caig Pro Gold on the card and wipe it through once, if you want to keep it from re-corroding.

I know it's more work that spraying some alcohol based cleaner in there, but it will last much longer.

There is another product that works well, Stabilant 22, but it's expensive and if you aren't plagued with connection problems (like I am here in Florida near the ocean) it's probably not necessary.

Insights and incites by Notes ?

also check to see there's enough tension on the two metal strips that hold the contact points..

you can tighten them.. bend them.. a bit with needle nose pliers..

If the switch feels sloppy, this is part of the problem..

put switch all the way up.. should snap to second, middle, spot..

and it should feel fairly firm there.. not lots of freeplay.

Archived