tulip tuners (nice touch), the LP Standard has Grover Chrome

D-tips. Other than that, the only discernable difference is

the Body Finish - 3 Solid Colors for Studio, Black or Burst for

LP Standard. Appears to have same Alnico Classic/Classic Plus

pickups.

Follw link to Musicians friend "compare" page - I've set it up

for you, then click on "view details" at bottom of screen for

each guitar, read up on 'em. The LP Studio Deluxe is so new that

MF hasn't added all the specs on the "compare page" yet.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/compare?base_pid=517413&base_pid=581254

Follw link to Musicians friend "compare" page - I've set it up

for you' date=' then click on "view details" at bottom of screen for

each guitar, read up on 'em. The LP Studio Deluxe is so new that

MF hasn't added all the specs on the "compare page" yet.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/compare?base_pid=517413&base_pid=581254

[/quote']

It doesn't tell you a thing! [biggrin]

Go by that comparison chart and it looks like the Studio is imaginary!!!

Jim

It doesn't tell you a thing! :-({|=

Go by that comparison chart and it looks like the Studio is imaginary!!!

Jim

Yep' date=' hence the click on "details" caveat. Looks like someone at

MF fergetted to update a wee bit of the website? Ahhhh, but

pictures can always be located.....

[img']http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt26/Animalfarm1984/aptopix_us_air_guitar_sher.jpg[/img]

[biggrin][angry][biggrin]

960581_686d_625x1000.jpg

MIDI-

Well, I won't go over the cosmetic aspect, we have eyes right? And it is also widely known all the hardware is of a lower grade.

But construction is pretty different, the shape is the roughly the same but thats about it. The studio's body is thinner, made of plywood, smaller neck tenon, different top radius. Lots of things. If you took a good set of calipers to a studio and a standard, you'll come up with some pretty big discrepancies, they just loosely resemble each other, and sound nothing alike on their own. Not that they aren't good guitars, but they are not just plain jane Les Pauls.

MIDI-

Well' date=' I won't go over the cosmetic aspect, we have eyes right? And it is also widely known all the hardware is of a lower grade.

But construction is pretty different, the shape is the roughly the same but thats about it. The studio's body is thinner, made of plywood, smaller neck tenon, different top radius. Lots of things. If you took a good set of calipers to a studio and a standard, you'll come up with some pretty big discrepancies, they just loosely resemble each other, and sound nothing alike on their own. Not that they aren't good guitars, but they are not just plain jane Les Pauls.[/quote']

Thanks, Musikron ...

I thought it was important to get that out there. Folks need to know what they are buying and neither the manufacturers or, quite often, the salesperson at the guitar store are exactly forthcoming about all of the details.

The Studios, while not an option for me (gotta be bound) are good little guitars at an afordable price. I just always like to let people know the differences betwen them and the Standard. If they decide to wait another couple of weeks, or a month, or whatever to get a guitar that will serve them better in the long run ... then it's cool with me. If folks are under the impression that the cost difference is merely for esthetics, then they are making this decision without benefit of all the info!

Jim

MIDI-

Well' date=' I won't go over the cosmetic aspect, we have eyes right? And it is also widely known all the hardware is of a lower grade.

But construction is pretty different, the shape is the roughly the same but thats about it. The studio's body is thinner, made of plywood, smaller neck tenon, different top radius. Lots of things. If you took a good set of calipers to a studio and a standard, you'll come up with some pretty big discrepancies, they just loosely resemble each other, and sound nothing alike on their own. Not that they aren't good guitars, but they are not just plain jane Les Pauls.[/quote']

Sorry, I don't buy that.

The LP Studio specs list on the Epi website clearly states it has a mahogany body and a set mahogany neck. Of course, what mahogany is is a debatable point but it certainly isn't plywood. Epi could get in trouble for stating an outright mistruth.

The listed hardware for Epi studios and standards is also the same. It would be inefficient to make these guitars from totally different materials/hardware across the range. Look at the significant differences between Epi's prices for studios, plain tops, plus tops and customs. I believe Epi set their price points to match the ridiculous price differences seen with Gibsons. You are purely paying for bling, IMO.

Alan

Sorry' date=' I don't buy that.[/quote']

Me either. I'm no expert but in everything I've seen, read, and heard - the studio just lacks the binding, fretboard inlays, pickup covers and the hardware is a little different. Other than that they are the same guitar. I could be wrong but I haven't found anything that contradicts that.

Anyway, to the OP, if you're still looking, you can get the Studio Deluxe from Guitar Center's website for $299 right now. That's one helluva deal. The Deluxe is a Studio with the inlays and pickup covers. The hardware may be a little different as well.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Studio-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-105320576-i1449700.gc

Well, goo ahead and check for yourself. Sure the neck is set, but it's a different tenon, different neck profile, and set into a different body. The body is thinner, there is no maple cap. There are significant differences between the two. Do you think binding accounts for the 5 pound weight discrepancy? Can you put binding on a Studio and have a Standard? No, you can't. Therefor they ARE different guitars. FACT.

Well' date=' goo ahead and check for yourself. Sure the neck is set, but it's a different tenon, different neck profile, and set into a different body. The body is thinner, there is no maple cap. There are significant differences between the two. Do you think binding accounts for the 5 pound weight discrepancy? Can you put binding on a Studio and have a Standard? No, you can't. Therefor they ARE different guitars. FACT.[/quote']

Having just bought a studio deluxe to join my standard plus I can confirm that the body of the studio is slightly thinner (by about 1 - 1.5mm) but that the top is still figured but just not quite as much as it is on the plus. The set neck on the studio has a slightly shorter heel (by about 2mm) but I don't know if/how this relates to the tenon. The quality of woods used seems no different to me. Hardware and quality of components is comparable on both guitars, although the tuners on the studio deluxe are not as nice as the grover tuners on the cheaper, ordinary studio IMO.

Both my LPs have the same amount of sustain but, having just played them unplugged side by side, tone wise my studio has a brighter edge to it with more 'attack' whereas the Standard Plus has a creamier/bassier tone. My studio sounds a bit like a 'fat' SG which, I suppose, is not too far from what it actually is.

Feel-wise, both guitars are very much Les Pauls. The neck on my studio, for me, is slightly better because it's faster and silkier. Maybe binding gives necks a slower feel?

Alan

Archived