Gibson Brands Forums

Help wanted for epiphone G400 - question answered please don't waste time reading

hozza

Hi

I have a G400 that has had its serial number disputed thanks to it not being recognised by the "serial decoder".

The serial is 0811230041, I realise that the decoder is not a foolproof system and this may be a genuine number.

I've opened the guitar up, its a solid wood body, the pickups are Epiphone (with stickers saying, for example, G400 neck and ROHS compliant), the electrics are all Alpha pots, the tuners are Grover, the pots routing even seems to be painted with graphite paint. Would a counterfeit/fake go to that level of detail?:)

I emailed the Gibson customer service dept. as their website states but I'm not holding my breath for a reply.

I'd appreciate any help you can give.

edit: :) Meant to post this in the ID your epiphone thread - please delete or ignore

Your number is valid - I just did the same to an

EPI LP Special II I snagged off craigslist. Breakdown

is as follows:

Your number - 0811230041

08 = Year of MFR - 2008

11 = Month of MFR - November

23 = Factory Code - We think Indonesia

0041 = guitar #41 produced that month

Mine has a Factory Code of 13, currently unidentified,

BUT "inspected by" sticker says "GABOR, China".

[angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry]

[cool] [cool] [cool][angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry]

Musikron - We've ALL been new at the game, we learn from experience and

asking questions! You KNOW the "is my git for real?" questions will be asked

many times until experience teaches one what to look for!

Hozza, I forgot - WELCOME to the Forum! Ask whatever questions you need,

someone here should be able to answer!

[cool] [cool] [cool][angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry] [angry]

Say its "Is my guitar fake?" In the title of these threads so I don't wast my time looking at them goddammit!

Thanks for the warm welcome, you must be a really nice person.

Perhaps you didn't notice the line at the bottom where I said it was posted in error, unfortunately this forum doesn't seem to have a "delete post" option or else I would have.

Get over yourself.

Musikron - We've ALL been new at the game' date=' we learn from experience and

asking questions! You KNOW the "is my git for real?" questions will be asked

many times until experience teaches one what to look for!

Hozza, I forgot - WELCOME to the Forum! Ask whatever questions you need,

someone here should be able to answer![/quote']

Thanks for the welcome and the information, I appreciate you taking the time to answer a newbie.

Thanks for the welcome and the information' date=' I appreciate you taking the time to answer a newbie.[/quote']

Yer Welcome - that's why we come to this forum, to share

and learn. We were ALL noobs once (yuk, yuk)!

noobs-suck.jpg

Hi

I have a G400 that has had its serial number disputed thanks to it not being recognised by the "serial decoder".

The serial is 0811230041' date=' I realise that the decoder is not a foolproof system and this may be a genuine number.

I've opened the guitar up, its a solid wood body, the pickups are Epiphone (with stickers saying, for example, G400 neck and ROHS compliant), the electrics are all Alpha pots, the tuners are Grover, the pots routing even seems to be painted with graphite paint. Would a counterfeit/fake go to that level of detail?[biggrin

I emailed the Gibson customer service dept. as their website states but I'm not holding my breath for a reply.

I'd appreciate any help you can give.

edit: :-k Meant to post this in the ID your epiphone thread - please delete or ignore

The guitar dater thing isn't anywhere near accurate.

Your guitar, as others have pointed out, is 100% legit. My G-400 has a serial number that starts 081215xxxxx. I bought it from a legit guitar shop (part of a huge nationwide chain) that would never risk their name selling fakes.

Like mine, your serial number is legit - never trust the guitar dater thingy.

Thanks to (almost) everyone for your help. I appreciate it.

Sorry to the other guy for wasting the 3 seconds of your life it must have taken to read the post and the even longer time it must have taken to express your displeasure at having wasted those 3 seconds.

Archived