Gibson Brands Forums

Strange noise after changing strings :(

alans056

It is common on a lot of import and even USA guitars with tune-a-matic bridges to have that buzz going on in there. It sounds like the retaining wire in the bridge is buzzing. There is a Youtube video of a guy with an Epi Riviera P93 who describes the problem in detail and troubleshoots it.

All I heard was fret buzz.

To fix the buzz from the wire (NOT what you recorded though) just start in the middle and crimp the wire down between the screws, then work your way out for each set. Then go back around bending the wire further until they are all taught. I use a little soldering tool for this which has a notch for holding wires, works like a charm.

New guitar needs a setup anyway. Just like an old guitar or ANY guitar that hasn't been set up in the last season.

If you need to ask' date=' yes. Take it to the best luthier you can find and have them set it up for you.[/quote']

I agree with Musikron.

To me it sounds like slight fret buzz. If you are fretting at the 9th fret (and no other fret positions cause the issue) then I think the 10th fret is a little high. When I listened it sounded like the buzz started as the plucked note decayed and you probably also released the pressure on the fretboard at the same time.

I have encountered that issue many times. If it was me, I would level the offending fret a little then dress/polish it. Not a big issue.

If you have no experience working on guitars, then off to the local guitar tech. Get him to do a full steup and the guitar will be good for a long time.

Good luck, Stewart

It is common on a lot of import and even USA guitars with tune-a-matic bridges to have that buzz going on in there. It sounds like the retaining wire in the bridge is buzzing. There is a Youtube video of a guy with an Epi Riviera P93 who describes the problem in detail and troubleshoots it.

Do Gibson Bridges rattle as much as the epiphones? Are they better quality?

Do Gibson Bridges rattle as much as the epiphones? Are they better quality?

Yes and no.

And I suggest NOT letting the music store do a set up. Find a dedicated luthier who only does builds repairs and set up. Music store workers aren't trained to do that kind of work, it requires a skill set that most store "techs" just don't have.

Alan, you're getting a lot of advice from everybody which, if you're not very sure about what you're doing can lead you to damaging your guitar. You're safe with your own string changes but I would advise that you find a local luthier/guitar repairman in your yellow pages to do your setup rather than taking it to a shop. It might cost about the same but will get you a lot better job done. You could also learn all you need to know about setting up guitars by reading "How to make your electric guitar play great by Dan Erlewine.

Alan

Archived