Gibson Brands Forums

My uncles refin LP is close to being done!!!

duane v

Finally!!!

My pal has done a pretty darn good job on it all things considered. Hopefully the weather will warm up a little more so that the drying process can be completed so I can put it all back together.

I told my uncle that guitar is mine once he departs the earth[biggrin] ...... That Gibby is begging for vintage Dimarzio SuperD's

unclp2.jpg

unclp3.jpg

How was it stripped' date=' Duane? What was it like before the refinish?

Alan[/quote']

The finish was already mostly removed with exception of the back of the neck. My uncle started the project in 1970 at some point, and just put it away..... He's a Gretsch man, and it wasn't until he saw my collection that he told me he had an old Les Paul he would like to finish and didn't want to spend a bunch of money. So my long time pal Bill that does things on the side for fun said he would do the refin for $150.... Looking at the progress it appears to be a good deal.

I mean, I see some inconsistencies in the burst (could be the figuring of the wood adding to that as well, it almost appears as if some flame has been sanded through maybe?) and some orange peeling, but if he sands and buffs right it should turn out well. It is a nice top with killer flame except for that one spot by the tail of the guitar.

Nice to see it saved from the closet.[biggrin]

Archived