Gibson Brands Forums

Video Review of Gibson Slash Appetite vs VOS 59 vs Epi LP plustop

wiggy

When I picked up my copy of Guitarist magazine today they had a demo on the accompanying CD where they compared the New Slash Appetite LP with a 59 VOS and an Epiphone LP Plus Top.

I thought you might like to see it so here it is.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Fantastic post, Wiggy!

To me, the two Gibsons sounded identical until you got to the full-on overdrive. There the VOS seemed to have just a bit harder edge that the AFD. The Epiphone had a noticable lower output that either of the Gibby's (volume knob, anyone?), but really held it's own in the tone departtment for a fraction of the price!

Good show!

Jim

I agree.

I do think the tone of the Slash AFD is much smoother than the 59 which surprised me a little and if I had the cash (which I don't unfortunately) I think I'd probably go for it over the 59 VOS assuming I could live with Slash wannabee connotations that go with it.

The EPI sounded pretty good considering the price difference but there's still that muddiness that seems to be inherent in the Epi pickups.

that vid clearly shows why i own epi's. the pups my need to be replaced on some models, but the guitar overall does a great job against it's pricey cousin. epi guitar plus upgraded pups equal nice price for a great playing guitar.[biggrin]

Guest icantbuyafender

I for one can say that I am sick of all these slash pro-model guitars.

I'd pick my modded epi LP's over one of the slash model gibsons any day.

Maybe it's me, but the Epi sounds a lot more vintage than the '59. [biggrin]

And I don't just mean in terms of output level, it actually sounded more like something I would associate with classic rock than either Gibson.

Archived