Gibson Brands Forums

When was this MIJ Crestwood made?

truetone6

Hi,I am new to this forum.I got this Epiphone guitar a couple of days ago. It's from Japan,made in the '70's I think.I was told it is a Crestwood.The pickups have been changed to Dimarzios: Air Norton in the neck and an old Super II in the bridge.Tuners were changed to Schallers. Came the original case too. I paid $280 for it.

Any information about this guitar would be appreciated.Thanks in advance

100_8995.jpg

100_8996.jpg

100_8998.jpg

100_9003.jpg

100_9001.jpg

100_9000.jpg

100_9004.jpg

100_9008.jpg

100_9009.jpg

100_9010.jpg

100_9014.jpg

Is that the remains of gold on the bridge? The neck plate and headstock look like my 1974 EA250. The model that looks like yours in the 1974 catalogue is the ET278. But they were sold that year at least, in ebony. It also would have had a bound fingerboard, which makes me think yours has been stripped. Also I would expect Epis from that era to have a black headstock face. Of course, yours could have been produced that way, but below is the page from the '74 catalogue. Looks nice though.

pg5.html

I don't see the pic, so here's a direct link to a Matsumoku fan site

Matsumoku.org 1974 Epi catalogue

Hi' date='I am new to this forum.I got this Epiphone guitar a couple of days ago. It's from Japan,made in the '70's I think.I was told it is a Crestwood.The pickups have been changed to Dimarzios: Air Norton in the neck and an old Super II in the bridge.Tuners were changed to Schallers. Came the original case too. I paid $280 for it.

Any information about this guitar would be appreciated.Thanks in advance

[/quote']

The natural finish Crestwood (ET-290 N) with the maple fretboard was made by Matsumoku in Japan approximately 1976 - 1979. This mid '70s catalog only shows the cherry sunburst model...

epi%2070s%20catalog.jpg

Is that the remains of gold on the bridge? The neck plate and headstock look like my 1974 EA250. The model that looks like yours in the 1974 catalogue is the ET290. But it was sold that year at least' date=' in cherry sunburst. It also would have had a bound fingerboard, which makes me think yours has been stripped. Also I would expect Episfrom that era to have a black headstock face. Of course, yours could have been produced that way, but below is the page from the '74 catalogue. Looks nice though.

[img']http://www.matsumoku.org/models/epiphone/catalogs/1974/pg5.html[/img]

I don't see the pic, so here's a direct link to a Matsumoku fan site

Matsumoku.org 1974 Epi catalogue

Beat me to it by a few seconds!!! They came out with an all natural version (ET 290 N) around 1976, some of them even had neck through construction. I had a real nice Newport bass a while ago:

epi%20newport.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived