Gibson Brands Forums

Modding An SG Special II

Elias Graves

This red SG Special came to me some time ago. It was a pretty sad instrument when I got it. The action was horribly high and you couldn't lower it without racket, it didn't stay in tune, the pickups, pots and wiring were all pretty poor as well.

I put a Gibson Burstbucker 2 and a Lace Dually, red silver in it, replaced most of the other hardware but the action problem was a problem. I finally figured out by removing the neck that there was a glop of hardened polyester inside the edge of the neck pocket. Once that was cleaned out, the action was good.

DSC02694.jpg

Still, I didn't like the color, so I decided to give it a paint job. There was a big ugly chip on the back near the control cavity cover and I've never been a big fan of red SGs anyway.

DSC02691.jpg

So, off I go sanding it down...

DSC02703.jpg

DSC02744.jpg

DSC03012.jpg

DSC03011.jpg

EG

Then paint. I'm just using a good spray enamel from the home store. Nothing special.

I decided on silver with some black striping. The striping was done using a vinyl tape I picked up at the auto parts store. You can pull it up and stick it down as many times as you need to get it in the right place. Clearcoat over the top.

DSC03034.jpg

DSC03032.jpg

DSC03045.jpg

DSC03070.jpg

And the taping...

DSC03109.jpg

DSC03136.jpg

EG

I'm liking what I see so far!!! Just saved it to "favorites" for

inclusion in the "Guitar Projects by Forum Members" sub-section

in the DIY thread. Heh, heh, heh... Please be sure to

document all good and bad things, we can learn from your

project!

[blink][thumbup][thumbup]

That's lookin' really good Elias.

Funny about the action issue - I just took the neck off an Epi Jr. and found a scrap shim in there. Now that it's removed the action is improved and the guitar sounds better.

Go figure....

Excellent work! The 3D stickers for the headstock were

a unique choice, gotta remember that.

You have just created and "Elia-Phone SG"!!!!!!!

I have no doubt you will inspire others to do the same.

I love it!!!!

Archived