Gibson Brands Forums

differences

Wes1971

The only differences between the Emperor II and the Joe Pass Signature Emperor II are:

1) Pickup Selector switch is on the cutaway horn on the pre-Joe Pass version, and on the upper bass bout on the JP

2) "Joe Pass" signature on pickguard or lack thereof

3) "Joe Pass" engraved on truss rod cover, or not.

There may be subtle variations in neck thickness or shape among different guitars of the same model, depending on when and where they were made, but there was no change in specs when the Joe Pass model replaced the Emperor II.

There may be subtle variations in neck thickness or shape among different guitars of the same model' date=' depending on when and where they were made, but there was no change in specs when the Joe Pass model replaced the Emperor II.[/quote']

ok

so do the necks have the same specs?

thank you

bye

Angelo

Hi guys' date='

a little question to you:

wich is the difference in the neck between the Emperor's II and the Emperoror II "Joe Pass" signature?

Emp. II 1989

emperorvs1.th.jpg

Emp. II JP 1996

immagine1374.th.jpg

thank you

bye

Angelo

I believe that's actually an Emperor, not an Emperor II. Here's a quick rundown of the Korean Emperors: Prior to late 1993, it was just called the Emperor. Joe Pass endorsed the Emperor in September 1993, made some changes (most notable the switch moved from the lower horn to the upper bout), and it became the Emperor II. Joe died in 1994, in 1995 the Joe Pass signature was added to the pickguard and it officially became the Joe Pass Emperor II.

There may be subtle variations in neck thickness or shape among different guitars of the same model' date=' depending on when and where they were made, but there was no change in specs when the Joe Pass model replaced the Emperor II.[/quote']

ok

so do the necks have the same specs?

Angelo

Angelo, Parabar answered your question as best anyone could without physically comparing the two guitars. Epiphone used many Korean factories, and there could be variations, it's not an exact science. Plus the 1989 is not an Emperor II (see my other post), so the real question is whether an Emperor neck the same as an Emperor II.

No doubt the 1989 was made by Samick. If the 1996 was also made by Samick, I would guess they would be similar. But no guarantees.

Angelo' date=' Parabar answered your question as best anyone could without physically comparing the two guitars. Epiphone used many Korean factories, and there could be variations, it's not an exact science. Plus the 1989 is not an Emperor II (see my other post), so the real question is whether an Emperor neck the same as an Emperor II.

No doubt the 1989 was made by Samick. If the 1996 was also made by Samick, I would guess they would be similar. But no guarantees. [/quote']

Sorry and thank you Parabar & jerrymac, I didn't understand the answers..... my "english" is a disaster [crying]

thank you again for your patience [blush]

bye and good we to all

Angelo

Archived