Gibson Brands Forums

Mighty Mite Pots

KX36

Hi, I'm looking for some push pull pots for a Jimmy Page les paul mod and I'm having trouble sourcing them.

I'm after

2x 500k log (audio taper) DPDT push/pulls with short shafts for volume and

2x 500k linear taper DPDT push/pulls with short shafts for tone.

Unfortunately when you want push/pull pots you have to throw all the well known brands out the window as they seem to be only made as generic components in the far east, adding short shafts and linear taper to the mix and the choices are very limited.

I have pots on order from Allparts (UK) but the ETA on them is 8wk-never as they don't have an ETA from the manufacturer yet. (Log Taper, Linear Taper)

I have also found a set of generic far eastern ones on ebay for half the price and a set of ones branded Mighty Mite. (manufacturer numbers MM704 and MM706)

I was wondering what anyone's opinion on this is. Anyone have an opinion on Mighty Mite as a company? Anything specifically on the quality of their electronics? Should I stick it out and wait for Allparts ones which may never come?

Thanks a lot

PS. Hyperlinks aren't very obvious in this forum's theme are they? I've underlined mine.

I bought a MM loaded pickguard once and it changed my Squier strat into a MIM Fender, well not actually but you know what I mean. I also bought a couple humbuckers and they were good too, definitely better than what they replaced. Quality seemed pretty good.

No, I'm in the UK.

No, CTS haven't made a push/pull for a long time. A couple of other popular brands that people have suggested like CGE, possibly Alpha, RS Guitarworks, Wymore Guitars (who have apparently changed their name recently from something else) apparently have all done push/pull in the past but not anymore. It only seems to leave generics from asia for the most part.

See if you can't find something useable from Stew Mac.

Thanks fadedepi. Unfortunately' date=' Stewmac only do one taper, I assume it's log (audio) taper, also it's not ideal shopping on a US shop for delivery in the UK even though they do international delivery. I probably wouldn't really bother for unbranded pots that don't come in one of the 2 tapers I'm after.

If your in the UK Have a look at the strings direct page: http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/guitar_parts/potentiometer

I've ordered strings and bits from them, they seem ok

Thanks jammybstard. They do stock one of the 2 pots I have on backorder already from Allparts UK, whether or not they have it in stock or are backordering from the manufacturer as Allparts is, I can't say. They also don't have a linear taper pot for the tone control.

I ordered mine from Banzai effects Germany. http://www.banzaieffects.de/

They even carry push/push pots which I prefer over the push/pull. http://www.banzaimusic.com/Potentiometers/

Thanks Ricochet. These look quite good, they meet all of my specifications. They're slightly more expensive than Allparts (about £41+p&p compared to about £37 with p&p already paid for), but push-push usually seem to be more expensive than push-pull. I'll email them to see what they can tell me about the quality and origins of these pots but what would do it for me is just them being in stock. They are however more expensive than the Mighty Mite ones would be (£30) or the generic asian ones (£20)

EDIT: The push-push switches on Banzai are mini-pots. I've not used those before, are they suitable for standard volume/tone controls? Also all except one of those push-push ones are "shorting" switches, i.e. when you actuate them, they momentarily connect both poles simultaneously. There is only a single linear one that isn't. Is this shorting a problem? I know it wouldn't be for coil tapping where usually a DPDT is acting as a SPST switch and most of the connections aren't used, but what about series/parallel and phase switching where all the connections are used? What did you use it for, Ricochet?

You've all been very helpful. Thanks a lot! Has anyone got anything else to say about Mighty Mite?

Archived