Gibson Brands Forums

ES-295 vs Electromatic

Spyke1

Hi all,

A somewhat theoretical question - has anyone had experience of both a Gretsch G5120/5122 and the beautiful Epiphone ES-295? I'd really like to hear comparisons in terms of tone, playability - the works really. I think they are both stunning guitars, especially the walnut colour option for the Electromatics. I know that finding an ES-295 is going to be a real challenge...

Thanks!

[biggrin]

Well, there are some basic differences:

Es-295 has p-90s

the 5120 line of Gretsch (Now Fender) has those knockoff pups. Not bad, but not quite the same, as say a 6120.

The Controls are a little different, and the construction is a crapshot.

Body finish/set-up are key issues for me.

The Entire line of 5120, or 5122 gits are ok, some finishes are suspect, the clear pickguards make me want to puke.

I've played several 295s and never found any basic fault with any of those.

In all honesty though, the fretboards on the Gretschs, were better, at least for me.

Thanks, that's useful. I don't like the clear plexi guards, but I gather some have white ones and they're available aftermarket. So basically the neck on the Gretsch will be nice, but you think the overall construction and setup on he Epi might be better?

Both are beautiful, and I'm not in a hurry to buy (unless an irresistable deal was dropped in front of me). I'd sure like to hear any other pointers...! :-

Hi all' date='

...I know that finding an ES-295 is going to be a real challenge...

Thanks!

[/quote']

I thought they were discontinued, but about a month ago, I picked a new one up at a music store in Toronto - they had to order it in, but they said their distributor still had 13 in stock. The 295 has P90's and a body that's about 1" deeper than the 5122. The Electromatic would probably be the more versatile guitar, but I already have a Dot, and I wanted something that says "Rockabilly".

ES-295 deeper? Ooh, I hadn't realised that! So what is the depth of the 295 then?

Trouble is my local music stores don't have either in stock, so I'm thinking I may have to travel a bit to actually try either out. Still, I have holidays coming up!

...ES-295 deeper? Ooh' date=' I hadn't realised that! So what is the depth of the 295 then?

[/quote']

Sides are a little more than 2 3/4" - Body is probably 3" at the centre - still thinner than a regular acoustic guitar,which is about 4". Full hollow body, no centre block. Pretty fair acoustic sound & volume - you don't need an amp to practice.

You will get a different response from the 295 than from the Wildkat, due to the deeper body and fully hollow nature of the construction, but there will be some similarities, yes. I've owned an Electromatic, one of the previous incarnations that had the single coil USA Dearmond 2000 pickups in it. I currently own a ES295. Yes, the 295 has a deeper body.

Neck profile-wise, the Electromatic had a somewhat wider feel to it, and a flatter fingerboard feel. I believe it was a bit shallower front-to-back.

The 295 has about a medium C shape to it.

I've played a few of the current Electromatics in stores but I'm not a fan of the pickups they have in them now, so they haven't held my interest long enough to do a long eval.

The overall feel of the Electromatic to me was that it was kind of clunky. It was heavier than I expected for a fully hollow guitar, felt more like a semihollow. Also, from finish to playability, I thought it had an overall feel of "plastic-ness" to it. The finish seemed very thick.

Tone-wise I thought the Electromatic had an underlying plinky element that was somewhat banjo-like. Tried to correct it a few different ways but I guess that was just the nature of the beast. It might have been OK if I were just playing rockabilly fairly clean with a touch of slapback, but I do a lot of 40's-50's jump blues that requires a little more oomph and the Gretsch just didn't have it. I had traded a MIM Esquire for it because I needed a "rockabilly axe" for a gig on the schedule. I dumped it three days after the gig.

The 295 hasn't been in the stable for all that long but I'm more impressed with it than I thought (considering the last archtop I had was a 1951 Gibson ES350 that I had to sell last year for financial reasons). It doesn't have the plasticky feel to it that I'm accustomed to with a lot of imports (and yes, Epiphones are very guilty of that too). I picked it up secondhand and it has a couple of small chips in the paint; you can see at those spots how thin the poly finish is. The stock Epi P90's are not going to win any awards, but they are definitely serviceable pickups until you can afford to get replacements - as long as you get the bridge pickup a little closer to the strings.

Overall I just think the 295 is the more versatile all-around guitar.

Thanks for all the info.

It souns like the 295 has a bit more in the quality department and the Gretsch is a bit more variable. I guess ultimately it's a question of hands-on and bonding - if I ever get the chance!

Thanks all for your input.

[thumbup]

...think it's very similar to a Wildkat (which I already have) in terms of feel and sound...

I have both - I found a new black '08 wildkat which I bought in April, before I found out I could still get a 295. I haven't played either very much, but the Wildkat seems brighter & more trebly, with more sustain. If I could only have one, I'd take the 295, but that's just me.

Archived