Gibson Brands Forums

Is "tension on the neck" important while changing Pickups ?

alans056

Hello all!

Following my other thread a few days ago where I learnt I had to replace my pickups, I have one question.

Here it is :

When replacing the pickups with the new ones, I will obviously have to remove (and change) the strings, right ?

Well, by doing so the guitar will be with no strings for a certain amount of time.

Will that amount of time be enough to bend the neck (loss of tension) and thus, creating fret buzz ?

Thank you!

Hello all!

Following my other thread a few days ago where I learnt I had to replace my pickups' date=' I have one question.

Here it is :

When replacing the pickups with the new ones, I will obviously have to remove (and change) the strings, right ?

Well, by doing so the guitar will be with no strings for a certain amount of time.

[b']Will that amount of time be enough to bend the neck (loss of tension) and thus, creating fret buzz ?[/b]

Thank you!

try to use the same gauge strings and they should pull the neck right to where it was before. If you use a heavier or lighter strings it could need adjustments after.

When replacing the pickups with the new ones' date=' I will obviously have to remove (and change) the strings, right ?

[b']Will that amount of time be enough to bend the neck (loss of tension) and thus, creating fret buzz ?[/b]

From my experience it doesn't do any harm to the neck to take off the strings for some hours or even a whole day. I did several repair jobs which needed the strings completely removed, and the neck setup didn't change as long as I put on the same type of strings again.

However you should avoid to leave the guitar without strings for several days or even weeks. Also take care you don't change the action by e.g. accidentally turning the studs of the bridge while the strings are off.

Btw.: For PU replacement I found it sufficient to remove the 4 highest strings. This makes enough room to remove the PUs comfortably on most guitars, and avoids the bridge and tailpiece falling off the guitar, possibly causing damage on the guitars finish.

Ok thanks' date=' because when I changed the strings for the first time, I left the guitar without strings for about 24h and I got fretbuzz...[/quote']

Did you change the strings for a different type or gauge? Even strings of the same thickness may have different tension, depending on the material they are made from. You'll also have less tension when changing to a thinner of strings. Note also the tension depends on the whole string set. There are different sets available starting with the same gauge for the high E string. A set with gauge from 0.10 to 0.52 has a higher tension than e.g. a 0.10 to 0.46 set from the same string type.

Did you change the strings for a different type or gauge? Even strings of the same thickness may have different tension' date=' depending on the material they are made from. You'll also have less tension when changing to a thinner of strings. Note also the tension depends on the whole string set. There are different sets available starting with the same gauge for the high E string. A set with gauge from 0.10 to 0.52 has a higher tension than e.g. a 0.10 to 0.46 set from the same string type.[/quote']

I replaced the stock strings by D'Adarrio strings with the right gauge, I checked!

Anyway, I will replacing the strings by the exact same, so it should be OK I guess. I hope!

Alan, having the strings off won't harm your guitar. Since guitars are made of wood, they are somewhat unstable by nature. String changes, temperature, humidity, etc. will affect the guitar, necessitating minor adjustments from time to time. That's why so many of us learn to do these adjustments, often referred to as "setup". There are many books and websites to help you learn about this stuff, as well as places like this forum.

Archived