Gibson Brands Forums

Excessively noisy pups?

sledge57

Well my brother in law wanted me to come over and bring my Wildkat, he has a Strat.

So we plug em in and notice the Kats P-90s are a lot noisy-er than the Strats single coils.

Doesn't seem to be a grounding issue, it never changes when you touch any thing and you have to have the pups and master volumes all the way up (most of the way up anyway) to hear the noise.

Is it just the difference in how hot the pups are or ???

Never been an issue for me, I never play with that much gain or volume. The guitar sounded good when being played (by the bro in law that is)

And I now love Mesa Boogie amps, he has a 5-50 w/2 12's [biggrin] Sounds awesome even at lower volumes.

I'd go with it just being the difference between pickups. A lot of the old school players are really good at turning the volume knob up and down. Ted Nugent is one of the best at it, being that he used a hollow-body guitar to create some of the most intense tones ever. Unreal when you think for most of the early stuff he used a Gibson Byrdland and Fender Twins....and nothing else.

Guest icantbuyafender
Because...humbuckers...

And SC pups wired in reverse polarity

buck hum...

precisely

Thanks for the answers but I guess I'm too late. He called me a 1/2hr after I posted this and told me he bought a new Gibby SG , faded Cherry (bastard! [lol] )

I guess he wont be buying the Kat, would have nice to keep it in the family.

Archived