Gibson Brands Forums

Trapeze Tailpiece for Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Gotux

Hi guys, I hope you can help me, I want to change my regular tailpiece from Les Paul Custom for one of this :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LONG-GUITAR-TRAPEZE-TAILPIECE-OPEN-FRAME-GIBSON-ETC-/200311320534?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2ea37c2fd6#ht_6272wt_11

Do you know if it had influence about sustain or something?

i wanna change it just for aesthetics and i'm afraid to mess up

Thanks a lot!!!!

So if I understand correctly, you want to make this guitar:

EpiLPCustom-1.jpg

Look something like this:

GoldtopLPwithTrapeze.jpg

I did a search for a photo of an LP Custom with a trapeze tailpiece, and could only find a few pictures of the above. Most web shots are of the vintage '52 goldtops with Lester's patented trapeze tailpiece bridge combo - the one that looks like this:

lespaulwithtrapeze2.jpg

That original long trapeze was considered something of a failure and was taken off the LPs after about 3,000 were made, according to Les.

The shorter (long) trapeze seems to be pretty rare, and I'm not sure it will do much to improve sustain since you are essentially decoupling the strings from the middle of the body and transfering whatever residual vibration is left after they cross over the bridge to the edge of the body. I doesn't seem like a good idea, but having never tried it, I don't want to dissuade you.

In any case, before you go drilling three new holes in the guitar, you might want to see if you can mount it temporarily using the existing strap button hole as a test.

Remember that the electronics are grounded to the bridge or tailpiece via a wire that runs through a channel in the body, and this must be reconnected. If the ground wire on your GT is strapped to the tailpiece, it will have to be reconnected to the bridge, or tail piece, either by visibly extending it, or drilling a new channel. Otherwise you will get hum when you're not touching the strings.

You'll also have the tailpiece studs left in the top of the body which might outweigh the aesthetic improvement you're hoping for.

Personally, I'd rather put a Bigsby on which at least would give you added sonic options, but it's your guitar and you can do anything you like, so don't go by me.

Do you know if it had influence about sustain or something?

i wanna change it just for aesthetics and i'm afraid to mess up

Thanks a lot!!!!

So just for looks' date=' or are you unhappy with the sustain on your git.

Might try overwrapping the strings first on the stopbar, if sustain is the issue.

As Brian mentioned, your getting into all kinds of electronics, grounding, and whatnot, just for looks.

[img']http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2047/1000202e.jpg[/img]

The only problem you'll have is covering the original holes.. I don't think they make a trapeze that has a plate that fits right over them.. they should!

but you can pull the bushings and cap them or put a plastic plate across them or whatever.

otherwise though it's certainly doable without much trouble.

they look sharp that way..

So just for looks' date=' or are you unhappy with the sustain on your git.

Might try overwrapping the strings first on the stopbar, if sustain is the issue.

As Brian mentioned, your getting into all kinds of electronics, grounding, and whatnot, just for looks.

[/quote']

IMO, the standard trapieze tp being reference in the OP is not going to do any improvements

in sustain and you will need to figure out a way to run a ground wire from the end

of the guitar to the contol cavity..not an easy thing to drill on a finished LP, but

it can be done. Not to mention having enough string pressure to keep intonation

accurate with a hinged tp.

The original Les Paul patented Miracle tp had a heavy round bar that provided

some string sustain, but it's long design proved to be eventually unworkable

on the smaller Les Paul and so Gibson came up with the combination stop bar

tail piece to replace it. It has at least a bit more mass to provide sustain and

also through the large bushings that go down into the body.

Les Paul during the early 50s, actually used the ES-175 cast tp on his models

and some kind of early bridge that was replaced by the tom.

The best bet is to do what most people have done and put a heavier cast

aluminum Bigsby on it that has the ability to provide the correct string wrap and tension

on either a roller bridge tom or some kind of better tom.

Thanks a lot guys!!!!

I apreciate all your advises and tips and stuff.

Seriusly, you has been very very helpful for me.

I thank you from heart!!!

I think i'm gonna try this tailpiece. Anyway a luthier friend of mine is going to do this work, he will know!!!

I hope He knows about ground wire change and stuff. i will leave on the big screws from the old tailpiece.

When i will do something, i will tell you!!

Thanks a lot again!

We're in touch!!

bye!!!

Archived