Gibson Brands Forums

Splitting coils switch type? DPDT?

Hi just wanna check i know what i need to coil split my humbucklers.

Am i right in saying i need a DPDT switch ON,ON.

Switch will split both neck and bridge in one postion and be in normal mode in other position.

Heres a link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINI-SWITCH-ON-ON-BLACK-/350294101913?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item518f27cf99

Thanks. Ive already got a hole for a switch hence the reason not to use push pull pots

Just thinking here.

A 4 wire hbucker has 4 wires brought out. 2 wires represent each coil.

You have a DPDT switch. In one position (normal) the center terminal

connects the two coils together and you have a normal humbucker function.

In the the split mode...the center terminal connects one side of one coil

to ground. But this will leave the other coil just hanging (one side unconnected),

unless there is a DPDT switch for each p_up...

..like in the push-pull switch case.

I was going off of this diagram, i was guessing that the push/pull pot was DPDT and i could do the same with a seperate switch doing both from one

http://www.seymourduncan...ic=HSH_1v_1t_5w_pushpull

If your guitar is HSH w/5 position switch, as the diagram, you're fine. The switch will provide either full HB or coil splitting for both pups at the same time.

Btw, coil splitting does introduce hum. Parallel wiring would give you the SC tones, but without the hum.

If your guitar is HSH w/5 position switch' date=' as the diagram, you're fine. The switch will provide either full HB or coil splitting for both pups at the same time.

Btw, coil splitting does introduce hum. Parallel wiring would give you the SC tones, but without the hum. [/quote']

The SD dpdt switch diagram shows that when the red/wht from both coils is grounded

via the switch (split) the S coil (out of phase humbucking coil) is grounded at both ends

and that will work even with the typical Gibson 3 way, but then you might experience some

hum in the N coil working as a SC. Both the neck and the bridge split coils (N) will be inphase.

Generally to reduce hum, you would want the bridge SC to be out of phase with the neck SC coil

to create a pseudo hum cancelling configuration. But that means that the bridge would have

to be RWRP and that isn't going to occur if both humbuckers are split as shown.

I use a switch that lets me have

series humbuck

parallel humbuck

single coil

all off one pup.

I put two in my epi lp. 3pdt I think they are called.

I bought a bag if you want one cheap. they run about 12.00 each online!

mini switches.. so far they hold up nice.

I like that option much better. for one thing, if you get in a spot where there's a lot of interference, one of the humbuck sounds is very single coil like. but without the noise.. and for recording stuff, etc., it's just cool to have three sounds per pup!

I cant do phase switching with a 5 way switch can I? i though you could only do it on a LP type set up? If i could id only want it for neck and bridge and i cant have that configuration on my guitar.

By the way my guitar is an Ibanez RG350 M-YE. HSH 5 way 1 vol 1 tone.

I think i'll stick to the one switch as the hum really doesnt bother me as its only for mainly experimental purposes to see if i want a strat type guitar one day. I only use humbucklers for classic rock so single coil mode will be very different for me. Want to play some clapton type stuff such as layla and the P90 on my LP sounds to fat and not twangy enough.

Thanks for the offer mr Twang but i'll stick to a DPDT for now.

Maybe future mods tho so we'll see.

Cheers guys!

The SD dpdt switch diagram shows that when the red/wht from both coils is grounded

via the switch (split) the S coil (out of phase humbucking coil) is grounded at both ends

and that will work even with the typical Gibson 3 way, but then you might experience some

hum in the N coil working as a SC. Both the neck and the bridge split coils (N) will be inphase.

Generally to reduce hum, you would want the bridge SC to be out of phase with the neck SC coil

to create a pseudo hum cancelling configuration. But that means that the bridge would have

to be RWRP and that isn't going to occur if both humbuckers are split as shown.

That's why I prefer parallel wiring to coil splitting.

Have finished the mods now. Done 3 seperate switchs, one kill switch toggle, one for splitting coils and the other is a mater tone/volume bybass (They called it a solo switch for max output)

My volume pot is shite tho and only works from 0-1 really, always been like that so just thought it was normall. the pickups are high output at about 16Kohms so is it normal for the pot to do nothing till the end with max gain on an amp?

Do i need to replace it??

Thanks

Yeah for sure!

Just thought id mention too, the split humbucker has less hum than the single coil in the middle. the middle single coil has probably twice as loud a hum.

The split sound is very nice also. Makes my Vox ac4tv sound loads better! i think this small amp sounds better with single coils than humbuckers.

Now just got to find a place to get a volume pot.

Archived