Gibson Brands Forums

Sharp Frets

ToneGuy65

Yes I did it on my strat but you want to be careful. You want to be sure that the wood didnt shrink due to changes in mositure, temp. or humidity because when it comes back in you may find that you have filed the frets to far. So only file a little bit.

I have used this' date=' it works great!

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Fretting/Fret_End_Dressing_File.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=2928[/quote']

jcwillow is correct, that little file is the right tool for the job. One side of it has no teeth,

so it won't scar the fretboard, or binding.

You still need to be careful and go slow if you haven't done this before.

It is also only for rounding the fret ends, once you have filed the ends even with the edge of the binding.

That can done with a flat file, or this tool.

I use a flat file.

FretEdgeFile.jpg

Thanks Everyone for your posts I was afraid to do it. I found a good file and carefully bye hand filed it I wet the file with water and a drop of veg oil for lube. Came out fine No problems. did 4 in total not even a scratch. Clean it up and its GREAT thanks again

I love Playing this Les Paul it feels soooo good in my hands

K

It was really getting in the way of my Playing. Now nice and smooth. I named my newly modded Epi Paul THE LEGEND KILLER it sounds that good just keeps getting better, I havnt touched my les paul classic since I did the mods

thanks everyone.

K

Archived