Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Junior replacement tuners?

DookieJonnie

Wanting to upgrade stock tuners for my Epi les paul junior so any ideas?

Preferabely without having to reroute my guitar

Hi Jonnie,

Just got my modded Epi Jr. from another member here and he had replaced the crappy stock tuners with a set of Gotoh's. It will leave an open hole on the back of the neck as they are not the two-screw style as the stock tuners. You can just fill the holes and add a drop of black paint if it bothers you.

Sheila

But I think you will still have to enlarge the holes the shaft goes into.

I replaced my tuners on my SG JR. with a set of Gotoh's (got them from JerryMac) and I love them. But I had to make the holes bigger; which is not that hard to do. And yes, like Sheila said, you will have some tiny screw holes that will show on the back of the headstock.

I don't know if you can buy any replacement tuners that are that small on the Jr. I could be wrong though.

BUT you DO have to replace them. They are just not very good at all.

Good luck.

Here's some pics of the SG and the Gotoh's I installed.

DSC00052.jpgDSC00064-1-1.jpg

be very careful if you do have to enlarge the holes, if you mess up the guitar is pretty much ruined. I replaced tuners twice, the key is to go real slow on the drill speed and place a piece of wood behind the headstock and drill into that somewhat as well. Might be a good idea to cover the back of the headstock with that blue painters tape too. This will help make sure that the holes do not get mangled when the drill breaks through.

oh yeah and be sure to use the EXACT size drill bit that they recommend on the package, if you don't have one..then go buy it, do not use one that looks "close enough".

be very careful if you do have to enlarge the holes' date=' [b']if you mess up the guitar is pretty much ruined[/b]. I replaced tuners twice, the key is to go real slow on the drill speed and place a piece of wood behind the headstock and drill into that somewhat as well. Might be a good idea to cover the back of the headstock with that blue painters tape too. This will help make sure that the holes do not get mangled when the drill breaks through.

oh yeah and be sure to use the EXACT size drill bit that they recommend on the package, if you don't have one..then go buy it, do not use one that looks "close enough".

Not 'exactly'! The Juniors are a bolt-on neck, and necks can be found and replaced to screw up all over again!!#-o

Sheila

Archived